This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CUA chapter.

“Womanhood” is defined as the state or condition of being a woman. There is no one correct way to be a woman, and each person interprets this word and its meaning differently. Some see being a woman as being strong, while others see it as gentle; some feel like a woman when they dress up in heels, while others feel like a woman when they’re heading to work in their uniform. So, what does it actually mean to be a woman? I want to celebrate the ways different individuals in my life live out their womanhood in a new series called “In Her Shoes.” This is the first part of that series – an interview with Rebekah Rowe, a sophomore history secondary education major at Catholic University. She is a Resident Assistant on campus and also a dear friend.

Mullin: What does being a woman mean to you? 

Rowe: I think that being a woman is to me, a sort of empowerment – that really comes to mind first. All of the things women have had to do just to be seen as equals is really  empowering. When I was younger, I went to the Alice Paul House and they gave out these little necklaces that women wore when they went to jail [for advocating for women’s rights]. Every time I go to vote, I wear that necklace because it helps me to remember that the privileges I have now, women have not always had. Feeling that empowerment and that strength from the generations before us is very important. 

Mullin: Is there anything you do or a specific moment in your life that makes/made you feel like a woman? 

Rowe: I feel like being a woman you have to defend being a woman sometimes. You have to be like “yes I’m equally as smart” or “yes I’m equally as strong” or “I’m able to do this or that.” So I think there are certainly moments where I’m surrounded by women who have made me feel like “yes I am a woman.” I used to play softball – that was kind of that environment, like “yes all these women are strong and they know they’re fully capable.”I think that kind of stuff makes me feel like a woman the most. 

Mullin: What has your experience been as a woman? Has there ever been a specific moment where you felt malice or hurt from someone else because of your womanhood? 

Rowe: Yeah, I think there certainly have been situations like that. I feel like I didn’t get the first-ever job that I applied to because I’m a woman. I tried to be a ballgirl – not like the ball girls you see getting the foul balls, but the ones in the dugout with the players. I had just as much experience as any other person and I didn’t get the job and I feel like there was prejudice there. It was really hurtful because I was 15 and I thought “Oh my god, I’m never going to get a job!” Fortunately, that isn’t the truth, but it hurts a lot because you think you really are not seen as equal all the time, especially when it comes to sports, which is a hard and toxic environment sometimes for women. I think that was one example of that. Also the comments you’ll get like “you’re a girl” or “a girl can’t do that.”

Mullin: Is there anything else you want to say about being a woman? 
Rowe: I think it rocks! If you ever want to feel empowered, I think going to marches and also making sure you check in on your fellow girls does that. My mom and I always talk about how taking public transit can be really scary as a girl, and I was scared of it for a really long time. My mom would say “if there’s ever a problem, go find a mom.” I think that’s true of most women; go find someone that you feel comfortable with and create a community.  I think HerCampus does a wonderful job of doing that, so I’m very grateful that they are such a good community here on the CUA campus. 

Hi! I'm Molly, a current Media/Communications and Politics Major at the Catholic University of America in Washington, DC! I love baking, taking pictures, and adventures in the city!