This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CUA chapter.

Falling out of the habit of reading can happen easily, and getting back into the natural swing of it is challenging when this happens. Whether it be because we’re too busy or we haven’t found a good enough book to grab our attention, or we feel guilty not choosing a “good enough” book, reading for pleasure can quickly become a chore rather than a leisurely pass time. There are solutions to pulling oneself out of a slump, however, so hope is not totally lost for us readers during these times of low literature enjoyment. 

Now, why do consistent readers fall out of love with this hobby at times? The answer to this question varies immensely from person to person, and the solutions are not one-size-fits-all. It can prove difficult to want to get back into reading on a daily or weekly basis if there feels to be no time or motivation to do so. There are some common themes that display themselves during reading slumps that can be fixed quickly if they are acknowledged. 

1. Time: if having not enough time on a daily basis proves to be a problem, it is important to understand what is taking up that time. It can be helpful to focus on your personal or work life, but if not reading is hurting your mental health, prioritize that. Adding sections into your calendar or your planner to sit down and read can help to keep you on track of reading goals and to make time for it. 
  2. There seem to be no good books:  when you cannot find a good enough book or one that grabs your attention, wanting to read is hard. You might feel like you have no push to read if you are not enjoying the content of the books. At times like this, I find myself totally switching genres or deep diving into book recommendations blogs or TikToks. If you usually like romantic comedies, try switching to horror or fantasy. Sometimes, your mind needs a switch to feel excited or interested in a new book. 
  3. Reading seems overwhelming: If starting a long book or a series feels too intimidating, there are other alternatives. Picking up a poetry book or a book of short stories is a good solution because these books are not as daunting as starting an entire series. Starting off slower and in smaller doses can make taking time for yourself to sit down with a book worlds simpler. 

Some books that have personally gotten me out of a slump are as follows:

1. Tender is the Flesh by Augustina Bazterrica; This novel is a dystopian thriller about a futuristic society of cannibals that will leave you both baffled and horrified
  2. Normal People by Sally Rooney; This is a romance novel surrounding the love and loss of two people living in Ireland. It’s beautiful and heartbreaking at the same time
  3. Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen; Here is one of my all time favourite romantic classics. If you’re looking to venture into classic novels, this is a perfect starting point.
  4. A Recipe for Sorcery by Vanessa Kisuule; This is my favorite poetry book. It’s inspiring and mind-opening while still easy to read.
  5. Perks of  Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky; Here is my all time favorite book I have read. Written in letters, it’s quick to get through but an attention grabbing and thought-provoking coming-of-age story. 

Finding the time, energy, or a good enough book to read can prove difficult even to the most dedicated of readers. Discovering the root of the problem or struggle is the first step in getting back into any habit, and reading is no different. There are millions of books to choose from and endless book recommendations out there, so get together a list of books that interest you and go from there. Getting back into reading is as easy as you make it!

Ryn is a sophomore English and Media and Communication Studies double major at The Catholic University of America.