H Street Festival Snapshot

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CUA chapter.

The H street festival is possibly everything a college student could ask for, an array of diverse foods, lots of booze, and free performances by talented local bands and various acts. Ever since my friends and I were sophomores, we’ve made the H street festival an annual event. This year was nothing shy of the spectacle we thought it would be. Spanning from 4th all the way to 14th street, each block was filled with vendors selling art, music, clothes, and so much more.

This year was especially fun for my friends and I because we are (finally) all twenty-one. This is also the first year I ran into a lot of Catholic University students, who all in some way or another ended up in the beer garden at the end of the festivities. When I finally made my way into the garden I was greeted to about 15 of my fellow CUA classmates. It reminded me that no matter how far you are from CUA you’re really not actually that far.

Though the food was great, the worst thing about the festival is having to stand in ridiculously long lines for it. Every year we debate on where to go and every year we decide to get some authentic Jamaican food cause who could turn down beef patties, ox tail, and rice. This year we weren’t so lucky when stood in line for almost 30 minutes, noticed that the line had not moved, and quickly realized that Jamaican food wasn’t “the move.”

Aside from the food and drinks, the music is always my favorite element. As someone who likes to think of herself as a music connoisseur, I’m always looking out for the best, underground artists. I was not let down this year as I stumbled upon by the band by the name of The Unknown. As I listened to their set, I was intrigued by there fresh sound, in sync harmonies, and groovy rhythm.

My friends and I have made some pretty memorable times at the H street festival, its always a great way to start the year and it was an even better way to begin the end of our college days.