Cherry Blossoms In The District

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CUA chapter.

The cherry blossoms are here!!! What would a spring at CUA be without the beautiful, white and pink cherry trees blossoming on the basilica lawn! The cherry blossom season is a BIG deal in DC and everyone jumps on board to celebrate.  The tradition began in 1912 when DC was given 3,000 cherry trees as a gift from the mayor of Tokyo. The annual National Cherry Blossom Festival runs this spring from March 20th – April 17th.   Each year the trees bring havoc to our allergies on average around April 4th.  This year the peak bloom for the blossoms was predicted to be March 23-24 so the cherry blossoms are out and ready to be on your Instagram feed.  The best place to enjoy the beauty of the cherry blossoms is near the monuments along the Potomac River.  My personal favorite ‘gram location is just across the river from the Jefferson memorial.  Here are a few ways in which you can celebrate the cherry blossom season this spring in DC:

1.     April 2nd, The Blossom Kite Festival on the National Mall

2.  April 4thBlossoms and Baseball.  The Washington Nationals Exhibition game againsts the New York Yankees at Nationals Park

3.  April 4th, Cherry Blossom Firework Cruise along the Potomac River

4.      April 8th-April 10th, Capitol Hill Cherry Blossom Food Tour 

5.     April 16thThe National Cherry Blossom Festival Parade

Enjoy the blossoms while they are here!!

1, 2, 3, 4

Catholic University Senior. Romping around the District. Playing with Words. Trend-trying, Style Seeking Individual. Coffee Enthusiast. Mac-and-Cheese's Soulmate. Retired Athlete/Future Soccer Mom. Swipe right for more info.