This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CUA chapter.

Relaxing is important because being a very stressed person is not good for one’s health. As someone who is typically stressed more than 3 days of the week it is important to have methods to relax. Relaxing creates a healthy and balanced lifestyle that allows me to be at peace with myself. These are the 5 ways that I spend time relaxing in college and trying not to become very stressed.

1. Exercise

Exercising contributes to a person’s positive mental health. The body naturally gets rid of the stress hormones that cause one to be on edge most of the time. I go to the gym occasionally to reduce stress from the week. If I don’t go to the gym, I tend to do stretches that are easy to complete wherever. It can be encouraging even to find a friend to go with sometimes so you don’t feel alone, but going to the gym by yourself is also great as it gives you time to be alone. Being alone allows you to think more introspectively and actively process your stress.

1. Listen to Music

Listening to music is a great way to relax because it helps people feel happy or process the emotions they’re feeling. In my experience, I waited all night to hear James Arthur’s new album as a treat to myself. Listening to his music makes me feel relieved from all the stressful factors in my life. Music is sometimes a way to escape reality when it becomes too stressful. Finding the perfect playlist can be very satisfying during any time of stressful situation. I make playlists that sometimes reflect my current state of mind which is pretty relaxing as it encourages me to go with the flow and not think too hard. 

1. Journal

Journaling is a great way to rid yourself of the stress currently placed on you. If you write down how you feel, it is just as good as talking it out. Journaling can also be used in a fun way; it doesn’t just have to be labeled as a diary or anything of that nature. People can often be intimidated by journaling, but it can be taken in any direction that you want. Your experiences journaling do not need to be the same as a friend or family member. Journaling does not even have to be done every day, it can be done just when you need it. I feel as though journaling is a creative way to express yourself without having to always rely on talking things out if not comfortable.

1. Hang out with friends

Planning activities with friends is rewarding when it comes to avoiding or removing stress. Even if you just hang out with your friends on campus, this is still a great way to relax. As a college student, sometimes funds are low but there is always something to do. Both on-campus and off-campus activities can be enjoyable to attend. Also, setting aside time to just go eat dinner with friends will allow a pause from any stress-related factors. Having a great support system such as friends has been proven to reduce the stress that a person may have. I do know that when I’m with my friends the stress of school typically flies out the window. The many activities that can be done make it easier to think positively and be ready to take on anything

1. Find some sort of craft

I have found crafting very relaxing as I don’t have any directions to follow. Making jewelry has always been something that interested me. When I complete a piece it makes me feel accomplished and relaxed. I tend to make earrings and bracelets as those pieces of jewelry are pretty simple. Some other relaxing crafts can be painting, knitting, sewing, crocheting, and more. I even consider cooking to be a craft even though I’m not very good at it. Crafting is useful as it allows you to step away from the stress and situations that are causing an issue for you.

I would recommend that people try these activities or ways to no longer feel stressed. Relaxation should never be put on the back burner because it leads to burnout. I suggest that everyone incorporate some form of relaxation into their schedules.

A Freshman Politics Major at Catholic University of America