10 Items You Need to Survive the Winter!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CUA chapter.

Winter is in full swing, and as much as we would all love to curl up in bed until the 70-degree weather of spring, we have to face the cold temperatures. But, we are not sacrificing glowing skin or style just because the weatherman predicts snow and freezing rain. I’ve created a survival list of 10 things I use that will help you get through this weather that makes you think you are experiencing Frozen in real life.

1. First, let’s start with some beauty products. In the winter skin tends to get dried out, so you will need as much moisture as you can get. Try out this HOPEful solution:

This “Hope in a Jar” by Philosophy is a saving grace for dry skin in the winter. I use it whenever my skin gets angry from the winter wind and air, and it works wonders. It retails at Sephora.com for $44, but trust me, it is worth every penny.

2. Another part of your face you don’t want getting dried out and cracked is your lips. Whether you are  kissing that sexy lacrosse player at the bar or channeling Taylor Swift with some awesome red lipstick, you want your pout to be silky smooth. To achieve said smoothness try this product: 

I know what you are thinking; I can just use my plain old chap stick to get the same effect. Well, I hate to tell you this, but you are wrong. Chap stick could get the job done but lets be real, it often leaves an odd white color on your lips, not okay. Sugar products have tinted lip balm that can compliment your skin tone and give you some color while you treat your lips. They retail at Sephora.com for $25 and are perfect for a night out or for a chapped lip emergency.

3. Number three on my list is dedicated to achieving that summer glow at any time of the year. If you are anything like me you like looking like you have a natural sparkle about you, think Twilight but less vampire and more glamorous. I use this product daily for a tasteful glow (no vampire pun intended): 

I will admit, when I first bought this product it was because of the name. I mean come on who doesn’t want some Stardust on their face?! When I do apply this star infused powder I apply it to my cheekbones and the angles of my face that catch the most light. I have gotten so many compliments since using this product. I’m not trying to say its because I have stardust on my face, but it does give me a little extra sparkle that catches people’s eye. This star infused brilliance retails at Sephora.com for $14.

4. Number four is my holy grail of all over body moisture. Meet my, and your, new best friend:

I will put my life on this product, it works wonders. After you shower apply all over while “Uptown Funk” by Bruno Mars blasts in the background (the music isn’t necessary, but it makes it at least 16% more enjoyable). It retails at any drugstore for $10. Just buy it, you will thank me later.

5.  The last beauty product on my list, before moving to fashion, is for when you need all over coverage that keeps moisture in and provides SPF.  You’ll need both for the grueling winter air and this product has the whole package:  

NARS radiant tinted moisturizer has SPF 30 with moisturizers to keep skin glowing and flawless. Not trying to say you will have flawless skin when using this, but you basically will. It lasts for up to 16 hours and gives your skin a smooth finish. Buy it now at Sephora.com for $42.

Now, that we have our faces figured out lets move on to wardrobe. When it feels like Antarctica has moved into your backyard, you don’t have to look like a marshmallow to stay warm. Enter in my top fashion picks for this winter season. Part two of my winter essentials list starts at the bottom:

6.  Chelsea boots are all over the place. You see them on celebs and have to have a pair of your own; well your wish is my command:

These Steve Madden boots are your quick fashion fix. Versatility is key. Throw them on with skinny jeans or with some socks and a dress to give a more bohemian vibe. I have at least 3 pairs of this type of boot and I love wearing them. Just make sure you pre-treat them with suede protectant before taking them to the streets! These are available now at SteveMadden.com for $100.

7. Next on the list of winter essentials is a warm coat that doesn’t make you look like the Michelin Man. Piperlime.com has a great selection of coats that will keep you warm and won’t break your budget. Try this one on for size: 

There are three things I love about this product. 1. It’s insanely fashionable. 2. It is shearling lined, so it is warm, warm, warm. 3. It is reasonably priced at $90 at Piperlime.com. My philosophy is that you should always go that extra dollar for coats, jeans, and shoes since they get the most wear. So don’t feel bad about counting out a few bills for this item (or the shoes)!

8.  Neck wear is a big thing in the winter. Bundling up requires a scarf ad luckily I have the perfect fashion statement to keep your neck covered:

H&M has a great selection of scarves! I love this one because of the color and pattern. This retails for $44 at hm.com.

9.  To add some brightness to the drab winter months, why not tote around with a bright bag. Cross body bags are my go-to for bags since they work for a night out and hold everything I need for a day out in the city. Here is one that would light up any cloudy cold day: 

This cross body bag from Forever21 is a great fashion steal! The color is great and it has a great shape. You can get it online or in stores for only $22.90.

10.  And lastly, what is winter time without an oversized sweater? Turtlenecks were once something to cringe about but now they are coming into a new light of fashion, and thank god because I’ve been wearing them a lot this winter. Check out this great item from American Eagle:

The oversized sweater movement is something that I am in full support of. And this item is something that reflects the idea completely. Get it online or in stores for $55.

So I hope this list can help you endure the cold months of sun hibernation. With calendars counting down to spring, happy winter everyone!