This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

These Tips Will Help You Determine If your Hair can Handle Color.

According to hair expert Elizebeth, one of the ways to determine if your hair is healthy enough for color is by, “Pulling a section of hair smooth and very taut between your fingers. Add a drop of water onto the surface of the section, counting how long it takes to disappear. “If the water is absorbed by the hair in less than ten seconds, the cuticle is compromised and strands are too damaged to be dyed properly.”

You have tested your hair and determined that your hair isn’t healthy enough for color. Now what?

Don’t freak out there are ways to reverse the damage. Below are five tips that you can use to slowly reverse the damage and prepare your hair cuticles for coloring.

AVOID HEAT

One of the main ways to improve the integrity of your hair is to avoid heat styling if at all possible. If you have to use a heat styling tool, it is imperative that you are using a quality heat protectant.

Invest in a Quality Shampoo and Conditioner

Unfortunately, when you purchase a drug store shampoo and conditioner, your products may contain harmful products like sulfates. Ask your stylist for product recommendations, and make sure that you are buying products that are tailored for your hair type and texture.

Use a Treatment Once a Week

There are bond-building treatments that are designed to help restore the bonds and proteins in your hair. I recommend using the Olaplex treatments; it is perfect for all hair types.

Get a Trim

One of the quickest was to remove the damaged hair is by getting a cut. While this doesn’t reverse all damages, it can remove the most brittle parts of the hair shaft. Remember it’s better to have shorter hair that is healthy than long damaged hair.

Check your Water Source

If your house uses well water, it is highly likely that your hair has mineral buildup. This can compromise the health as your hair as well as turn the hair brassy or even orange. If this is the case, they sell shampoo and conditioner for well-water as well as hard water treatments. Many stores also sell filtered shower-heads to help eliminate the issue.

While these tips don’t promise that your hair will fully recover if you follow the steps, it should help the condition of your hair, allowing you to color. As always check with your hairstylist before applying any color or toners to your hair.

Talia Eaton

CU Boulder '20

Talia is a Junior at the University of Colorado Boulder. She has always had a passion for beauty. She has worked in various hair salons and makeup companies where she has picked up tips and tricks that she is eager to share with the world. She hopes to highlight the connections beauty creates and prove that beauty is a universal language!
Sko Buffs!