This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Disclaimer: I no longer have a Tinder because “putting your venmo username on your profile isn’t allowed,” so my first tip is to not do that.

Disclaimer #2: I did meet my boyfriend on Tinder, so not to say this is foolproof, but…

Use Photos You feel good in

Using photos that you feel like yourself in is the best way to make your profile an authentic representation of who you are, theoretically leading to better matches. Choosing images where you look good and feel good will show your authentic self. Your personality (and smile!) will shine through when someone views your profile. Ideally, you want three to four photos that you feel really good in, so people can see that. Yes, you do look that good all the time. For the love of god have no sunglasses in at least one of these.

Use at least one group photo

Okay, so we all know it sucks when other people have only group photos on their profile (I mean, what are you hiding??), so don’t subject others to this. That being said, you do want to have at least one group photo on your profile, so people know you have friends and aren’t completely antisocial. And to this point, don’t worry if you think your friend looks better than you. This isn’t going to be the first image on your profile – it should be third or fourth –so people will know what you look like by then and already be looking at you.

Add a meme

This might be controversial, but adding a timely meme that you think is funny is the best way to start conversations. It’s not always easy to make that perfectly-funny bio that sparks conversation inspiration, so let this meme be something you want to talk about. You can also use this to weed out people with bad humor. I personally used to love to add two memes or a meme with two sides and ask people which they liked better, it can tell you a lot about a person.

Bio action

The bio is the truly difficult part, and it’s the last barrier to entry: if someone finds you attractive, knows you have friends, and likes your meme(s), now they’re looking at the bio. Here you want to mention some fun things about yourself without being too autobiographical. You want to have enough information here so “hey” isn’t a swiper’s only option to start a dialogue. I suggest a classic format of:

I’m from (HOMESTATE) but here for (COLLEGE/JOB/FAMILY/TRAVEL/PASSING THROUGH).

I am a (ZODIAC SIGN), so if you’re a (BEST MATCH FOR MY SIGN) you legally have to swipe right.

I have a (PET/CAR/RECIPE I NEED TO TRY/RIDDLE I NEED TO FIGURE OUT)

In your bio, you want to show your personality and give some possible talking points or easy hang outs if things go well, but I’d refrain from being too forward. While it is funny to see bios with just eyeball emojis, or “We both know why we’re here,” I doubt those people get as many matches as they’re hoping for. While using Tinder for hookups is common, it’s a bit odd to assume everyone who swipes right on you is down to hookup right away.

Now, go revamp your profile and don’t be afraid to ask for input from friends and even your crush if you’re feeling saucy! Good luck swiping, XOXO, Marita.

Marita is HCCU's president and a senior studying operations management and marketing with a creative technology and design minor. She loves fashion, design and cooking. In her free time, she loves to go on walks and hang out with her bearded dragon, Walter!