victorious christmas?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
victorious christmas?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Nickolodeon / Netflix

Winter Blues: The Beauty of Sad Christmas Songs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Our whole lives, we’ve been told that Christmas is “the most wonderful time of the year”, but we seasonal depression girlies know that’s not always true. The holiday season means no sunlight, gift-buying stress, and hearing “Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree” on an eight-hour loop at your minimum-wage retail job. Plus, Christmas propaganda (AKA Hallmark movies) promotes facades of perfect relationships and families, which can intensify the loneliness people feel when snow starts to fall. The bottom line: the holidays aren’t always merry and bright. Sometimes you just need a good cry — and you shouldn’t feel guilty because of that. That’s where our Lord and Savior, Phoebe Bridgers, comes in. 

Every year, Bridgers releases a cover of a Christmas song. The queen of sadness transforms joyful, light-hearted carols into gut-wrenching stripped acoustic ballads that will shatter your heart and buckle your knees. Take “Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas”, for example. Bridgers’ haunting, melodic voice punches you center in the chest with sorrow, yet ironically, gives you the hope that all your troubles will be out of sight. Same with “If We Make It Through December.” And “Day After Tomorrow.” Her covers are the comforting hug you need to get you through the cold winter nights. They respect that your heart is heavy but let you know that the feeling is temporary. The spring flowers will soon bloom, but in the meantime, Bridgers will ensure the winter blues aren’t all-consuming. 

Joni Mitchell also understands the December depression. Not only does “River” crushingly lament the lost love one is inevitably reminded of around the holiday season, but Love Actually (2003) makes “Both Sides Now” a Christmas downer too. Watching Emma Thompson silently sob after realizing her husband is cheating on her has the power to make any grown woman fall to her knees. The family pictures flash between frames. The quick wipe of the tears —- so as not to ruin Christmas for her children. Mitchell grasps that she really doesn’t know life at all. It’s simply female-anguish-cinematic-history. 

Something must’ve been in the air in the 60s and 70s because Simon & Garfunkel’s “7 O’Clock News/Silent Night” (also a Bridgers cover) is another tear-jerker. The duo whispers arguably the most peaceful Christmas song while the nightly radio news show rolls in the back. The newscast describes conflicts surrounding the Civil Rights Movement, the Vietnam War, opioid crisis, and violence against women. While only two minutes, the song eerily juxtaposes the expectations of the holiday season and the state of the world. The world is supposed to be harmonious during Christmas but in actuality, it never stops burning. It is the perfect reminder of the privilege people often forget they hold in the face of receiving gifts and spending time with family. 

Need more sad winter songs? Check out this Spotify playlist that will have you crying into your Christmas cookie dough: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/2pLugetfA2Z1K7UhHbVuDl?si=11a55f3ca0734459

Keeley Haynes

CU Boulder '27

Keeley Haynes is a first year staff writer at CU Boulder's Her Campus chapter. She reports on all things entertainment, culture, music, and politics, but loves to channel her passion into opinion pieces as well. Keeley is a freshman at CU Boulder majoring in Journalism and Political Science. She discovered her passion for the media while writing for her high school's news publication, The Range. In addition to Her Campus, Keeley is a member of the Women in Philosophy club, Community Council, and CMCI Student Government. Outside of the writing room, you will find Keeley reading, swimming, or crying to A24 flims. Her favorite and most expensive hobby is attending concerts; the best show she has attended is Taylor Swift's reputation Stadium Tour. Aside from T.S., she listens to Phoebe Bridgers, The 1975, beabadoobee, Simon & Garfunkel, and Kendrick Lamar.