Why Turning 21 in Boulder, Colorado is the Best

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Turning 21 is every college students’ dream, but getting to that age in Boulder, Colorado is extra sweet. 

Boulder is currently ranked the number two college town in America, and it is super easy to see why. From the outdoor activities to the nightlife, Boulder has it all. However, a lot of those super awesome activities are much easier to access once you reach that special age. 

Graduating from fraternity parties to the bars is a huge step and a huge upgrade. Not only do you get to meet a different group of people, but you get better drinks than just lukewarm beer. This may be the more expensive option, but it is by far more fun.

Turning 21 is the biggest right of passage out there and going to Pearl Street is the best way to celebrate this. The biggest bars to pop into are the Downer, the Pub, and Spotted James. The Downer, or the Sundown Saloon as it is officially called, offers a free fire shot for those who come in on that special day. It’s a spectacle for sure, but so fun to partake in. The Pub does a similar fad as it offers a free shot and shot glass to anyone who kisses the buffalo on their wall. The Spotted James doesn’t offer such a thing, but if you wear a Happy Birthday headband, you are sure to get offered some free drinks from others at the bar. 

These are some of the biggest bars in Boulder, but there are plenty of other places and things to do on your big day. One place to stop by is the Hill. Illegal Pete’s, Taco Junky, Chicken on the Hill, and Hana Sushi are just some of the fan-favorite places to celebrate. Nothing beats doing your first sake bomb at Hana on your big day. In addition to drinks, each one has a great selection of food to prevent those next-day hangovers. 

The real reason that turning 21 in Boulder is so special is that the bars here are almost completely filled with other college students. Going outside of Boulder can guarantee you more of an older adult experience, and power to you if you want that, but going out your first time may almost be easier if you are surrounded by people your age. 

Another big upside of coming of age in Boulder is that it is sort of a small town. Even though the university is seemingly huge, it is really easy to run into people you know everywhere you go. This translates over to the bars as well and it’s awesome to run into an old friend at the bars and celebrate with them by chance. Of course, this only applies to those friends who are older than you, but if you are one of the first of your friends to turn 21 it is super easy to meet new people when you’re out. 

Turning 21 opens a whole new social world and doing so in a college town makes the options endless. Boulder is one of the most special places in the world because of the strong social culture around it. So where would be a better place to start your drinking career?

Jordan Smith

CU Boulder '22

Hi my name is Jordan! I am a junior at the University of Colorado, Boulder, double majoring in communication and journalism. I love to read and write and am so excited to be working with Her Campus!