This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

When I toured CU Boulder as a senior in high school, I wanted to hate it. As charmed as I was by the picturesque Flatirons, pretty architecture, and unique amenities, CU was too close to home and I wanted to feel different. I always thought I would go to college in a big city. I had visions of my dad picking me up from the airport for holidays, living in a nice apartment in a high rise by campus, and taking public transportation to class. CU did not match this vision in the slightest. 

So I pretended that I didn’t get that homey feeling in my stomach after the tour. I ignored how much I loved walking around Pearl Street and acted like I wouldn’t miss the sunshine. When it came time to pick a college, I picked my pride over my gut and I moved to London, UK. 

Living in Europe was a blur of airports, city rain, strange accents, and new foods. I was living a life I had always dreamed of, but it was underscored by the pain of missing home and missing a traditional college experience. I saw my friends get dressed up for game days and eat Thanksgiving dinner while I attended lectures at the British Museum and went to expensive dinners. I enjoyed every second, but a part of me felt that I was losing an experience there would never be another time in my life for. College was for parties and football games and lecture halls and friends. I realized that the life I was dreaming of would be waiting for me when I graduated college, but this was my only chance to truly experience college. 

When the COVID-19 pandemic sent me and my classmates home from school, I decided to apply to CU. When they responded with not only acceptance but a scholarship, I couldn’t turn them down. I knew in my heart that I belonged at CU, but had decided that doing something cool and different was better than doing what was right for me. Since transferring, I’ve learned that doing things to impress others never serves you in the long run, but following your personal intuition always will. 

I’m proud to call CU my home. Every day I am still charmed by the same picturesque Flatirons, pretty architecture, and unique amenities. I am a part of several clubs and organizations that make me feel important and heard on campus. I am experiencing life as a college student. At CU, I get to be young and happy and carefree. The visions of the life I once wanted for myself are not gone, they are simply waiting for me after I graduate! 

When choosing a college, be sure to be true to yourself! It can be easy to get caught up in the prestige of universities and the competition of your senior year. By being true to yourself you will never regret your choices, and even if you do, you can transfer and explore new ones! 

Alia Davis

CU Boulder '23

Alia is the Director of Outreach and a contributing writer at Her Campus CU Boulder. She is a fourth year student majoring in International Affairs and Anthropology. When she isn't writing articles, she can typically be spotted on a run, watching sad films, or re-reading Dune.