matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Brock Turners grow up to be Brett Kavanaughs who make laws for Brock Turners.

In the bleak days following the confirmation of Brett Kavanaugh as US Supreme Court Justice, I have found myself enraged, terrified, and even numb. There is a similar sentiment amongst my friends as we debate what his confirmation means for ourselves, our friends and family, and America as a whole.

It seems to me and others who I have spoken to, that women take one step forward and are dragged three steps back. In a post-Brock Turner and Donald Trump dystopia, our voices have increased to an overwhelming volume with the largest protest in US history, which occurred during the Women’s March in 2017. In addition, the #MeToo movement, which has taken over much of social media, has taken root and helped many women find their voices with the support of other women across the globe. Despite all these gains, women’s voices continue to be extinguished and discredited. Women’s oppression can be exemplified in the instance of Brock Turner, a young man who sexually assaulted and raped a woman who was found unconscious outside of a party. The judge, Aaron Persky, sentenced Turner to only 6 months jail time and probation; however, Turner only served 3 months in jail. Aaron Persky justified this lenient punishment with his fears that Turner would face anguish from serving the traditional 6 years of jail time, in addition to the personal belief Persky held that Turner did not look like a rapist (so of course that means he is innocent). Ultimately, the decision was based on the fact Persky believed Turner and not the victim. Sound familiar?

The similarities between Brock Turner and the recent developments regarding Brett Kavanaugh are eerily related and exemplify an omnipresent pattern within our society that needs to be addressed.

To give some context, Kavanaugh was recently confirmed to take a seat on the Supreme Court, which is the governmental body that has the final say on all cases involving Congress and the Constitution. The controversy lies in the fact Professor Christine Blasey Ford recently came forward with accusations, stating that Kavanaugh sexually assaulted her at a party in high school.

Watch Professor Ford’s compelling testimony here and compare to Kavanaugh’s testimony here.

The decision to appoint Kavanaugh was postponed for one week to allow the FBI to investigate Professor Ford’s accusations. The FBI investigated 9 people, however, they failed to include some key figures with relevant information regarding the case. Research shows that there were people not even considered by the FBI, who held pertinent information that would have been conducive towards the investigation. Still, the investigation seems shallow and remains inconclusive. I recognize it is difficult to find evidence of an event that occurred more than three decades ago, yet it seems as though further steps could have been taken on the part of the FBI to find out the truth.

However, the main issue lies in this oppressive pattern of misogyny that pervades throughout our society.

The fact Kavanaugh was given a seat on the Supreme Court and now holds a lifetime of unprecedented power over the laws of the United States has several petrifying meanings and consequences throughout the nation, particularly amongst women.

This decision serves to solidify a precedent that women do not matter and our voices are to be ignored and gagged. By disregarding Professor Ford’s sexual assault accusations, in addition to 2 other women who recently came out with similar accusations, our leaders are demonstrating that her experiences of sexual assault do not mean anything.

The fact that Kavanaugh will go unpunished and get away with his actions signals to all of America that sexual assault is a joke, for which there are no consequences, and that women hold no value. Treating sexual accusations as hearsay and allowing perpetuators of sexual assault and rape to walk away perpetuates rape culture and the dehumanization of women. Especially since this pattern is becoming the norm with examples like Brock Turner, Yale’s Delta Kappa Epsilon and even Present Trump who has a “sexism tracker.”

When our leaders show obvious disregard for women and continue to support privilege and misogyny, such morals trickle down to the masses.

Recently, a friend of mine overheard a group of freshman boys here at CU Boulder making the following statements: “I didn’t know lewd comments were sexual harassment, I thought they were just something to be done to pass the time,” and “What’s your body count?”  Isn’t that horrifying?

All political affiliations aside, when President Trump makes statements such as it’s “a very scary time for young men in America,” the first thing that pops in my head is the fact that 1 in 3 women will experience sexual violence. Statements like that perpetuate that women are not equal to men, and that sexual assault affects the perpetrator more than the survivor. As my friend Kate Bacon, a student at CU Boulder studying Integrative Physiology, eloquently summarizes “Throughout his presidency, Donald Trump and his administration have worked to preserve the male and white supremacy of our country. His comments regarding the Kavanaugh case prove just how far he is willing to go. He has stooped to a new low by victimizing men in an attempt to divert the public’s attention when courageous women speak out of their traumatic experiences. Trump’s rhetoric is dangerous I am deeply disheartened to think about the impact it has had on sexual assault survivors.” As women raise their voices, demand to be heard, and command change and justice, men like Turner, Kavanaugh or Trump get scared as their male privilege is threatened. The issue for him is not that women are being assaulted or raped but that men might start having consequences for their actions.  

Well, in the spirit of the Halloween season: BOO BITCH. Let’s make those assholes afraid. Ladies and gentlemen, this is a call to action. The number one way we can make change is by voting, so register to vote which you can do here. Then head to the polls on NOVEMBER 6 for the midterms. Uber will even be providing FREE RIDES TO THE POLLS (Lyft is offering a 50% off) so you have no excuses.

Fuck the misogyny and let’s take action to break this systemic pattern of privilege and oppression.

All experiences can be different but all are valid just the same. Need to talk to someone or need support? Check out these resources provided by CU Boulder.

Resources: as a CU student you have access to these wonderful services:

Free counseling and group therapy: https://www.colorado.edu/counseling/

100% CONFIDENTIAL support: https://www.colorado.edu/ova/

Image Sources:

https://cdn.theatlantic.com/assets/media/img/mt/2018/10/RTS236N2/lead_720_405.jpg?mod=1538777956

https://timedotcom.files.wordpress.com/2016/06/brock-turner-rape-mugshot.jpg

https://peopledotcom.files.wordpress.com/2018/09/brett-kavanaugh-21.jpg?w=2000

https://static01.nyt.com/images/2017/01/22/us/22MARCH18/22MARCH18-superJumbo.jpg

http://www.slate.com/content/dam/slate/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2016/05/160503_POL_trump-president.jpg.CROP.promo-xlarge2.jpg

Summerlyn is currently pursuing a double major in Operations Management and Finance, a minor in Sociology, and a certificate in CESR at CU Boulder. She keeps busy with school work, being an RA, and working as an apprentice at a company here in Boulder. She makes time for the important things in life, such as spending quality time with friends and family, hiking and backpacking, yoga, and prose. As a new member to Her Campus, she is excited to contribute to the Boulder community and spread some good vibes.
Sko Buffs!