This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

I sat in disbelief, my phone screen glaring up at me. I kept refreshing the canvas page, surely there was a mistake. But no matter how long I stared, the “5/15” stared right back. I had taken my first biology exam of the semester the day before, and I had gotten a whopping 33%. Finally, sick of seeing the giant “F,” I set my phone down.

I wasn’t a straight-A student, but I had never failed a test before. Even in biology, which was always a difficult subject, I had always done well enough to pass. Because of this one test, my grade in bio had plummeted. It was pretty early in the semester, but I was still freaking out. 

After contemplating dropping out (kidding…mostly), I took a deep breath and got to work making sure this wouldn’t happen again. By the end of the semester, I had brought my grade back up to an A-. Here is what I learned from the experience of failing, and what helped me bounce back.

You get out what you put in.

To be honest, I hadn’t studied very much for my first exam. Immediately after seeing my grade, I bought a 3-subject notebook and a giant pack of index cards. I studied harder for my next bio test than I had ever studied in my life, and my grade was exponentially higher than the first one. You don’t have to go all out while studying, but the effort makes all the difference.

Extra credit is your best friend.

In December, my bio grade was a B+. But since I had done every extra credit opportunity, I got rounded up a whole level to get an A-. Tests are important, but in most classes, they aren’t everything. Do your best on every assignment, no matter how minor it seems, and always do the extra credit. It will really help in the long run.

Set yourself up for success.

My biology tests took place in the evenings, and on the day of my first test, I didn’t eat dinner. I hadn’t looked over my notes all day. I went into the test with a not-great attitude, just wanting it to be over. So really, it’s no wonder I didn’t do well! I made sure to change that next time. I ate a real meal and drank plenty of water, I studied my flashcards, and I took deep breaths before I hit “start” on the exam. It made all the difference.

Treat yourself kindly.

This is the most important point. No matter what the number is on your canvas page, it doesn’t matter. Your grade has nothing to do with who you are, and it doesn’t define your intelligence. If you struggle with testing anxiety or truly don’t understand a concept, your professors and advisors are more than happy to help! Treat yourself kindly, because, in the frustrating age of online school, we’re all just doing the best we can.

I hope these tips helped you prepare for the upcoming midterm season! For me, failing a test was upsetting at first, but the experience ended up teaching me some very valuable lessons. Remember that failing is completely normal and happens to everyone–use the experience to grow and do better next time.

Jordyn Stapleton has been a National Lifestyle Writer for Her Campus since February 2023. She covers a variety of topics in her articles, but is most passionate about writing about mental health and social justice issues. Jordyn graduated from CU Boulder in December 2022 with Bachelor’s degrees in music and psychology with a minor in gender studies and a certificate in public health. Jordyn was involved in Her Campus during college, serving as an Editorial Assistant and later Editor-in-Chief for the CU Boulder chapter. She has also worked as a freelance stringer for the Associated Press. Jordyn is currently taking a gap year and working at a local business in Boulder, with hopes of attending graduate school in fall 2024. Jordyn enjoys reading, bullet journalling, and listening to (preferably Taylor Swift) music in her free time. If she isn’t brainstorming her next article, you can usually find her exploring coffee shops or hiking trails around Boulder with her friends.
Sko Buffs!