Style > Beauty

Two Makeup Novices Try Out Maybelline Products

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Although two makeup amateurs, when given the opportunity to test out Maybelline products, we filled up our bags with supplies and decided to review them. Read below for our non-expert opinion on a selection of everyday makeup products. 

Lanaya Does Jess’s Makeup:

For Jess’s look, I selected setting powder, concealer, vinyl lipstick, foundation, clear mascara, and liquid eyeliner. Because Jess struggles with acne, I wanted to make sure I selected gentle products which would hide the redness but not cause a further breakout. I also selected gel mascara because Jess has blue hair and wears bright lip colors, and I didn’t want there to be too much going on with her makeup look. 

I started by applying the Banana translucent setting powder over Jess’s skin to set a nice base. Then I applied the 4-In-1 foundation, which is not only easy and mess-free because it comes in a tube, but also is light, oil-free, and works like a dream. If you do not buy this Maybelline foundation right now, you will miss out greatly. 

Once I applied her foundation, I used the concealer, also in a tube, to tackle Jess’s red spots. I think I selected too dark of a shade because I had to use my personal green concealer to further cover her spots, but the Maybelline concealer also is a great product. I blended the concealer, added blush, and then moved on to her eyes. 

Because I wanted to use mostly Maybelline products, I used the banana powder for a subtle eye shadow and brushed some blush in the corner of her eyes for a more natural glow. Then using the gel mascara, I gave Jess a natural brow look with a subtle mascara. Jess really liked this part of the look because it accented her eyes without being too much for an everyday look.

I challenged myself (and put Jess at risk) by selecting black liquid eyeliner instead of a pencil, but after a very concentrated and shaky application, her eyeliner turned out to be only slightly a failure. 

I finished the look with the lipstick. Overall, these products were easy to use, worked well, and are perfect for a basic makeup look, especially for a beginner like myself. 

Jess Does Lanaya’s Makeup:

For Lanaya’s iconic look, I decided to go with a classic combination of concealer, foundation, eyeshadow, clear mascara, vinyl lipstick, pencil eyeliner, and some setting powder to finish off the look. Lanaya tends to go for more of a natural look, so I selected basic products that would enhance her natural beauty without going over the top.

To start, I put concealer on her following a recommendation from L’Oreal on where concealer should generally be applied. After this, I blended in the concealer, which seemed to brighten her skin a little. Concealer was overall not incredibly necessary as Lanaya already has clear skin, but the product did help with brightening and had a light feel to it. 

After blending the concealer, I started with foundation, once again following placement recommendations from the internet, as this was my first ever experience applying foundation. The foundation was easy to use, gentle, and complimented her skin tone very nicely without being too heavy. It was similar to a tinted lotion, one of Lanaya’s usual products, so this foundation was perfect for her and her makeup routine. After blending out her foundation and applying a little bit of blush, I set it using the setting powder, which gave her skin a nice matte finish.

With the base of the makeup look done, I started on the eyes. I selected a boxed eyeshadow set that had three different neutral colors, which is perfect for a natural look. The box set was also fairly small, making it nice for on-the-go makeup. Choosing two of the colors, I gave Lanaya a slightly sparkly copper look on her eyelids. Next, I pulled out the pencil eyeliner, which is where things began to get complicated.

I can barely apply eyeliner on myself, let alone someone else, so my lack of eyeliner-related talent and experience may be where my struggle came from. I had a hard time getting the pencil on her eyelids smoothly, and it went on a little lighter than the liquid eyeliner I’m used to. Despite my struggles, it went better than expected (however not perfect), and the eyeliner amplified her natural lash line. However, in the future, I intend to stick to my liquid liner.

I finished off her eyes and eyebrows with the gel mascara/brow shaper, which nicely shaped the brows but did not add a noticeable difference to her eyelashes. With eyes done, I moved on to the finishing touch: the lipstick. I selected a light pink lipstick to be more natural and complement Lanaya’s skin tone. As opposed to using a lip brush, I used the applicator provided in the lipstick and put it on. The lipstick went on smoothly and darkened her lips for the perfect daytime makeup look. 

The differences made by the products were subtle but noticeable and came together very nicely. My personal favorite was the liquid foundation, which was easy to use, effective, and not too cakey. The setting powder was also a must-have as it provided a nice smooth finish after applying concealer and foundation. Overall, I really enjoyed using these products, and with the help of the internet my lack of experience wasn’t too much of a barrier to overcome when putting together a look.

Lanaya Oliver

CU Boulder '24

Lanaya Oliver is the Editor-in-Chief and a contributing writer at the Her Campus Chapter at the University of Colorado at Boulder. As Editor-in-Chief, she oversees a team of editors, is the lead publisher and editor, and works as a campus corespondent. Outside of Her Campus, Lanaya is a senior at the University of Colorado Boulder. She is double majoring in both Psychology and Spanish with a minor in Sports Media. Her writing career started in high school when she was elected the position of school wide poet laureate after winning a poetry contest in her sophomore year. Now Lanaya’s writing has evolved from creative pieces to profiles and articles for her Her Campus articles. In her personal life, Lanaya is an ACE certified personal trainer and teaches both cycle and barre classes. Fitness is her passion and more often than not she can be found lifting weights, riding a bike, or running. She also enjoys being outdoors, binge watching movies, spending time with friends, thrift shopping, and munching on any white cheddar flavored snack she can find. Lanaya hopes to find a balance between her love for writing and her dreams of working in the fitness industry in her future career.
Jess Alschuler

CU Boulder '25

Jess is a junior at CU Boulder pursuing an Aerospace Engineering degree with a minor in atmospheric and oceanic sciences. As a writer for the CU Her Campus chapter, she enjoys writing about the local music scene, television and entertainment, and the outdoors. In the future, she hopes to start a career as an Aerospace Engineer working with NOAA on remote sensing. She enjoys running, hiking, reading, and mountaineering in her free time.