Life > Academics

Tips to Get Through the End of the Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

We have reached that point in the semester, with post-spring break blues and finals creeping around the corner. For me, it consists of an enormous mountain of school work that I can never seem to see the top of. Although the sun is out and the weather has finally been consistent, most of us have been stuck inside grinding away and just trying to get closer to the finish line. This is when stress is at an all-time high because finals are coming up and grades are starting to become concrete. Whether you are relaxing or stressed, here are some tips to get you to that finish line.

1. Pick the lowest-hanging fruit.

This is probably the best yet most simple advice I have ever received. When you have an infinite list of things to do, it is difficult to organize them in your mind and get started. Sometimes I am thinking of the assignment I have due soon then my brain reminds me of that one class I have to take in two years that I have to research now. Instead of circling around, chasing your own tail, pick the lowest hanging fruit. That is, choose the easiest thing to get you started. An example would be instead of trying to read twenty pages right away, choose to read just five pages. After those five pages, check-in and see if you can read another five or two. If you just take the smallest step towards the goal, it will seem less daunting and you’ll at least start working towards the goal. Sometimes, the lowest-hanging fruit is getting out of bed or attending class. Just the easiest thing to get you started and most of the time, it’ll get the ball rolling. 

1. Choose something to work towards.

Often, we have long-term goals that motivate us to continue school, whether that is graduate school, medical school, or simply a good career after university. These goals are useful and good but can add a lot of pressure on us if we use them as our only driving force. Add a short-term goal that will keep you going throughout the week, something that motivates you. For me, if I submit all my assignments on time and don’t spend any money, I treat myself to an iced coffee on Fridays. This has given me something to look forward to and I remind myself of it anytime I try to procrastinate or buy a coffee before then. You can use a reward like going out for the weekend, buying that shirt on your amazon wishlist, or giving yourself a self-care day to get you motivated.

1. Learn to meet your needs without feeling guilty. 

You can’t pour water from an empty cup. Sometimes, you reach a point where you feel like you can’t give anymore to school, friends, or any other responsibility. This is resulting from burnout or just a lack of self-care. During these last four weeks, remind yourself that it is okay to take a break to rejuvenate and fill your cup back up. It is okay to take a day off to yourself and hide in your room if it means it can help you be a better student or friend. Be okay with saying no to going out if you don’t feel like it or taking a mental day off. Sometimes, we beat ourselves up for taking time off, believing that deems us “lazy” or not “working hard enough.” When in reality, meeting these needs will give you the energy to keep on working for the rest of the semester. 

1. Make your study space as comfortable as possible.

For me, if my space isn’t comfortable or passing the vibe check, I can’t focus. While preparing for a long study session either in your room or in the library, think about what you may need to help make that time more enjoyable. If I am studying at the library, I pack a lunch, wear a comfy outfit, and pick a podcast to keep me happy. If I am working in my room, I turn on some fairy lights, wear pajamas, brew some tea, and put some lavender in the oil diffuser. Creating a perfect atmosphere helps me focus for longer and relaxes me as well as prevents me from having a breakdown.

1. Reach out for help.

Often, reaching out during finals week becomes difficult because of fear of being a burden or overreacting. You are never a burden for expressing your feelings! Call a hometown friend, your parents, or go to dinner with a friend. It is okay to tell someone you are suffering or struggling, it doesn’t make you weak. It may help you feel better to get that off your chest and will help you create a support system to lean on when times get tough. If you have a supportive family, go home for a day if you feel homesick and cuddle your furry friend. Many people are struggling during this time, so oftentimes, you are not alone.

1. Celebrate yourself!

Whether this is your last semester of college or the last semester of your first year, surviving finals week is a big deal and something to be proud of. Regardless of your grades, you made it through a tough couple of months and made it to the finish line! Take some time at the end of the day to write down or tell someone why you are proud of yourself that day. It can be from finishing assignments or attending class. Be kind to yourself and remind yourself that no number or letter on a transcript can determine your worth. 

These tips have helped me maintain my sanity for the last couple of weeks and hopefully can help you power through the finish line. From one stressed student to the next, good luck on finals! You are worthy, smart, powerful and you got this!

Julia Stacks

CU Boulder '25

Julia Stacks is the Director of Social Media and a contributing writer at the Her Campus Chapter at the University of Colorado at Boulder. As Director she oversees a team of content creators, creates content for various social media platforms and helps with partnerships. Outside of Her Campus, Julia is a junior at the University of Colorado Boulder. She is majoring in Psychology with a minor in Sociology. Although she doesn't have any previous writing experience, she loves taking English classes and exploring her creative writing skills to strengthen her writing at Her Campus. Now, her writing focuses on topics she's passionate about such as mental health, current events and popular media. In her personal life, Julia can be found listened to true crime podcasts or watching true crime documentaries with her dog Shaye. She loves painting, reading romance books, spending time with friends and family, buying iced coffee and doing tarot readings. Julia hopes to use her writing to raise awareness about important issues which she hopes to do as a career as a victim's advocate.