Style > Fashion

Thrift or Treat: 10 Easy and Thriftable Halloween Costume Ideas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Keep it eco-friendly this Halloween and thrift your costume!

It’s easy to Amazon Prime your way to a last minute Halloween costume, but in terms of fast fashion, “spooky season” takes on a whole other meaning. This year I encourage you to shop ethically for Halloween by thrifting your own costume. On another note, just think about it: why buy a $70 cat costume that you’ll only wear once when you can thrift an affordable costume using pieces you can permanently add to your closet? If I haven’t sold you just yet, check out these ideas for some inspiration. 

Mia Wallace from “Pulp Fiction”

“Don’t be a ⃞.” A classic, simple, and sexy costume to live out all of your Uma Thurman fantasies.

What you’ll need:

• White button up long-sleeved shirt
  • Black slacks
  • Push up bra
  • Red lipstick
  • Optional black bob wig

Greaser/Sandy from “Grease”

You better shape up and into some leather pants (or even better, faux leather). Another easy and super flattering costume to consider. 

What you’ll need:

• Black high-waisted faux leather pants or any tight high-waisted black paints you can find
  • Black off the shoulder top
  • Black belt
  • Gold hoop earrings
  • Optional red high heels 
  • Red lipstick

“The Great Gatsby”

We all love to hate Daisy Buchanan, but no one can deny she is a fashion icon, truly a timeless costume.

What you’ll need:

• Fringed dress/ sparkly dress/ slip dress (anything you can find)
  • A fur shawl or boa
  • Headpiece with a feather (easy to glue on) or a sparkly headpiece
  • Fake pearls

Fairy

My personal ode to cottage core.

What you’ll need:

• Slip dress (the lingerie section is your friend)
  • Fairy wings
  • Glitter
  • Flowery accessories

Cowgirl

You could really dress up or down this costume; a cowboy hat speaks for itself.

What you’ll need:

• Cowboy hat
  • Anything denim
  • Anything cow print
  • Anything flannel
  • Optional cowboy boots
Blonde girl in a pink cowgirl hat
Photo by Gabby Scianna

Jackie from “That 70s Show”

The costume designer for That 70s Show better have been getting paid well because she really understood the assignment. Here’s one outfit idea for Jackie, but you could go off of any of her iconic looks in the show.

What you’ll need:

• Bell bottom jeans
  • A funky retro printed blouse
  • A scarf to tie around your neck
  • Whimsical barrettes 
  • Optional brown booties

Audrey Hepburn in “Breakfast at Tiffany’s”

“Elegance is the only beauty that never fades.”

What you’ll need:

• A sleeveless black dress
  • A tiara
  • Big black sunglasses
  • Fake pearl necklace
  • Long black gloves
  • Black heels

Velma from “Scooby Doo”

If you’ve seen the live action Scooby Doo movie you’ll know what I’m talking about — Velma can be nerdy, hot, or both for that matter (smart is sexy). By cropping your turtleneck or choosing a shorter skirt you can decide which type of Velma you’re feeling this Halloween.

What you’ll need:

• Orange turtleneck
  • Red biker skirt
  • Orange knee-high socks
  • Glasses
  • Optional brown bob wig

Boxer

An easy, cute, and comfortable costume for Halloween.

What you’ll need:

• Sports bra
  • Athletic shorts
  • A hooded robe
  • Optional boxing gloves or just wrap tape around your hands

Needless to say, some of these costumes may already be hiding in your closet; get creative and screw fast fashion.

Happy Halloween, you bad witches!

Bridget Cleary

CU Boulder '23

Hey! My name is Bridget and I am currently a student at the University of Colorado Boulder. I hope to spread awareness of environmental issues through HerCampus which will be a main theme encompassing my articles. You can also find some lighter topics throughout my page such as music, film, fitness, travel, and all-around wellness! If you would like chat feel free to contact me through email or instagram. Contact: Email- bkcleary6@gmail.com Insta- @birdge