This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Ladies and gentlemen, it’s that time of year again. A time of being with your loved ones and giving thanks. As we dive into the Thanksgiving season, many of us are beginning to think about who we will celebrate it with and what activities to do together. However, for others, it’s difficult to find a place to start, and one main reason could be because some of us are alone

woman sitting alone looking out window
Photo by Anthony Tran from Unsplash

Being “alone” during the Thanksgiving season could mean many different things, whether it’s being single, living alone in your apartment, having no friends to celebrate with, etc.

For me, my situation of loneliness means being distant from my relatives. 

As a commuter student living with her parents, I am always grateful to celebrate Thanksgiving every year with my family. However, as the years have gone by, I realized that many of my friends and relatives have been fortunate enough to celebrate with people beyond just their immediate families. 

Every Thanksgiving, I would listen to stories of how my friends and cousins had the chance to spend quality time with their grandparents, godparents, aunts, uncles, and so on. When I was younger, there were times that I even felt jealous of these people because I never had that same opportunity. 

Today, with almost everything turned around due to COVID-19, I don’t feel any of that resentment anymore. If anything, I feel absolutely grateful that my parents and sister have always been there for me, whether it’s Thanksgiving or just any normal day. Also, I’m glad that everyone in my family is safe and healthy. 

Fall Dinner Setting
Photo by TerriC from Pixabay

Throughout all these years, I’ve always wondered about what it meant to be thankful, and now, I think I’ve finally realized its true meaning. 

To me, giving thanks is about appreciating even the smallest things, because you’ll never know how large of an impact they can have on your life later on. It’s also about living in the moment and taking in what the present has to offer, because it may disappear before you know it. 

If you’re away from your loved ones right now, you don’t need to feel like you’re missing out. Sometimes, all it takes is a quick phone call to check in on them. Moreover, as the world becomes more virtual, you can easily connect online with anyone who lives far away. 

If the people you’d like to connect with are all busy during Thanksgiving, you can still give thanks by writing a thank-you letter. This may sound a bit cheesy, but trust me: I’ve done it several times before, and I’ve found it as a really great way to look back and remember exactly how you felt on that certain day. 

Reading book in bed
Photo by Gabby K from Pexels

Remember that it’s not the end of the world if you end up being entirely alone this Thanksgiving season. With the stress of online classes, I think we can all agree that a little bit of self downtime doesn’t hurt. So be sure to set aside some time for yourself and do something you enjoy, like watching Netflix or baking a special treat for yourself. 

As we approach the Thanksgiving season, I hope you can still find a way to be happy, healthy, and grateful, no matter what your situation looks like. If you need to reach out to anyone, remember that there are many people out there who are willing to help you out and support you. 

With that, I’d like to express my gratitude to you. Thank you, not only for reading this article, but also for existing and being present in the moment. Remember that you are loved and that you are not alone. 

Have a great Thanksgiving!

Gennah Penalosa is currently the social media director for Her Campus CU Boulder. She is a senior studying finance at the Leeds School of Business. When she is not doing homework, you can find her listening to music or drawing the face of a random celebrity.
Sko Buffs!