“Ted Lasso”: The Happiest Show on Television

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

If you’re in need of a new show to binge that will take a weight off of your chest and inspire you to put goodness into the world, look no further. Known for his comedic work on projects ranging from the late-night classic, SNL, to feature-length films, like “We’re the Millers“, Jason Sudeikis has displayed countless noteworthy comedic performances. In 2020, Sudeikis released his best work to date – “Ted Lasso“. 

“If the Lasso way is wrong, it’s hard to imagine being right.”

This Apple TV series stars Sudeikis as the title character. The show is about a happy-go-lucky American college football coach, Ted Lasso, who is hired to coach a British soccer (excuse me, *football*) team in London. With the help of Lasso’s closest friend and colleague, Coach Beard, and new companions along the way, Lasso makes his way into the hearts of the players and the television viewers. 

Jason Sudeikis and Brendan Hunt co-write this situational comedy with surprising notes of vulnerability and honesty. Conversations of mental health, divorce, personal growth, and love are sprinkled between the beautifully executed puns and southern twinged monologues. “Every man and woman is living a comedy, a drama and a tragedy, and the messages reflect that notion,” says Sudeikis. Ted Lasso is the hero none of us knew we needed but all of us grow to love during this time of uncertainty and fear. 

Sudeikis’s character displays kindness, respect, and admiration for every individual he comes across. Ted Lasso has inspired individuals to use this to model their everyday interactions. It’s what fans like to call “the Lasso way.” In an interview with Apple TV, Brett Goldstein, who plays veteran soccer player Roy Kent on the show, said, “It’s a choice, isn’t it, to be positive and grateful. I now find myself saying ‘I appreciate you’ to most people after an interaction.” Viewers of this show are reminded to be good, to be kind, and to be positive with others simply because that is what we should be. As actor Toheeb Jimoh put it, Ted Lasso is “an injection of goodness.” 

This show will truly change the way you view the world. There is goodness, joy, and fun to be found in every single day. Ted Lasso reminds all of us to either find it or be it! Watch seasons one and two of “Ted Lasso” on Apple TV

Alia Davis

CU Boulder '23

Alia is the Director of Outreach and a contributing writer at Her Campus CU Boulder. She is a fourth year student majoring in International Affairs and Anthropology. When she isn't writing articles, she can typically be spotted on a run, watching sad films, or re-reading Dune.