This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Female athletes have made great strides throughout history but have only started to be recognized for their accomplishments in recent years. Apart from admirable medals, broken records, and commercial success, they push the boundaries as women in a traditionally male-dominated space. Despite proving their respected place in sports time and time again, female athletes continue to face sexism, unequal facilities, and unfair pay. This does not stop them from advocating for social justice causes: implementing sports programs for younger female athletes and proving to the world that they deserve their success. In recent years, more attention and an increase in live streaming has allowed women’s sports to gain the attention they deserve. There are many places to currently watch athletes as well as things to keep an eye out for!

SUMMER OLYMPICS 

In a few months, days will hopefully be filled with laying under the sun, driving around with the windows down, feeling the sand between your toes, and turning on the TV to tune into the Summer Olympics in Paris, France. The Olympics bring alive the sports fanatic in many; even if you aren’t necessarily a sports fan, a sense of excitement buzzes through the air as the top athletes compete for a gold medal. For many, the Olympics are one of the few times feelings of patriotism and pride in the U.S. rise to the surface, especially when it’s time to watch the women. U.S. Female athletes have dominated the Summer Olympics for years, especially in gymnastics, soccer, basketball, and track and field. This summer will hopefully be no different.

As of now, it is too early to tell who will be competing this summer. Still, many have eyes set on big names like Simone Biles (gymnastics), Sha’carri Richardson (track and field), Katie Ledecky (swimming), and Sophia Smith (soccer). On top of these big names, new athletes have risen to the top. The Olympics are a great oportunity for rising athletes to make a name for themselves. Many sports are still in the process of qualifying and selecting team rosters, so spots are still up for grabs. The summer games are comprised of 32 events and begin on Friday, July 26th, and last through Sunday, August 11th. They will be available to watch on NBC and Peacock. 

NWSL 

If you are familiar with names like Alex Morgan, Megan Rapinoe, or Marta, I suggest watching the National Women’s Soccer League (NWSL). This league is where many big-name players find themselves when not playing with their national teams in tournaments like the World Cup or other friendly matchups. This league operates like any other major sports league, with teams being placed throughout the U.S. The western division has teams like the San Diego Wave,–my personal favorite and home to Alex Morgan–Seattle Reign FC, Angel City FC, Portland Thorns, and more. The Midwest division features teams like the Chicago Red Stars, Racing Louisville FC, and KC Current. On the East Coast, you will find teams like Washington Spirit, NY/NJ Gotham FC, and North Carolina Courage, among others. A full list of teams and their rosters, schedules, and where to stream can be found here

The league features players from all over the world and many from the three-time World Cup champions, the USWNT. It’s a super fun way to support women’s sports, as it’s a competitive league with a mix of national team and former college stars coming together to compete for the championship title. Game tickets are relatively cheap, sometimes as low as $5, and the stadiums’ environment is electric. 

Women’s Basketball

Like the NWSL, the WNBA is a fun and affordable way to enter women’s sports. There are 12 teams throughout the country, six in each conference. The Las Vegas Aces just won their second WNBA championship against the New York Liberty. The season starts again in May and lasts until October; tickets start at around $20. Like the NWSL, many players will presumably be on the U.S. Olympic team, so catch them during the WNBA season too! The teams’ full schedules, rosters, and ticket information can be found here

College women’s basketball has been taking the country by storm the last couple of years thanks to names like Caitlin Clark (Iowa) and Paige Bueckers (UConn), and teams like South Carolina and Louisiana State University. LSU beat the University of Iowa last year to win the championship. Still, Iowa senior Clark, who recently broke the NCAA scoring record, appears determined to win this year. Other than top championship teams like LSU, South Carolina, and Iowa, one should also watch Stanford, Ohio State, Virginia Tech, and UCLA. March Madness is right around the corner, with games starting March 17th. Unlike professional leagues, tickets to college sports such as women’s basketball sell out rather quickly, especially at top schools. Few games are left before the tournament, and teams want to finish strong. 

These are only a few women’s leagues and teams that are easy to follow and watch. In my opinion, women’s sports offer a more welcoming and friendly environment compared to men’s. It’s relatively inexpensive to attend games and streaming is available to watch games from the comfort of your own home. Being a female athlete is not easy as they still face inequalities compared to their male counterparts. Despite this, they are exciting and inspirational to watch and continue to break down barriers. They open doors not only for other female athletes but also for women everywhere, as their determination and striving for better is something all women can benefit from.

Karina Sercombe

CU Boulder '25

Karina is a contributing writer to CU’s Her Campus chapter for the 2023-2024 school year. This is her first year writing and she enjoys writing about all things film and pop culture. Karina is a junior studying Cinema Production and hopes to one day combine her love for writing and film. Outside of school, Karina has worked for local film festivals and hopes to continue doing so. When not watching movies or writing for Her Campus, she enjoys reading, traveling, or playing soccer.