books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

Six Things I Learned From My First Semester of College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Looking back on my first semester at CU Boulder, all the late nights, early mornings and everything in between made for a great first semester. Here are a few things I have learned from these past few months. 

You’re Going to be Homesick, and That’s Okay

When I was coming to college, I did not think that I would be homesick at all, especially because my house is only a 40 minute drive from school. College quickly proved me wrong. It definitely got easier as time went on, but it was more difficult than I anticipated at first.

It’s Important to Get Involved

CU Boulder, like many other colleges and universities, offers many different clubs and organizations for student involvement. Personally, I have really enjoyed getting involved in clubs that interest me and I think it’s really important to find an organization that you enjoy being a part of. There are so many benefits to being involved, including making new friends and building your resume!

You Will Not Look Cute Everyday

I came into college not knowing what to wear to class and I now realize that I did not need to bring about 80% of my clothes. I have a class at eight in the morning which is held in my dorm, so most of the time I roll out of bed 20 minutes before it starts, put on a hoodie, and call it a day. 

Time Management

Balancing homework, a social life, work, extracurriculars and whatever else you have going on can be very stressful! College certainly helps you develop your time management skills. I’ve found it helpful to write a to-do list to manage my stress and tasks. 

Balance

While school and work are top priorities, mental and physical health should definitely come above all. At some point it is important to recognize when you’ve reached your limit and take a moment for yourself. Whether that be doing a face mask, going to the gym or just basic necessities such as eating and sleeping, do what makes you feel good.

Hard Work Pays Off

I know this is super cliche, but it is true. There are moments when things seem nearly impossible and giving up sounds like the best option, but it is better to keep pushing. All your hard work will be rewarded in the end and whatever is meant to be, will be.

Thank you for reading my reflection of this semester! I wish you all luck on finals!

Masha Gradushy

CU Boulder '22

Masha is the Editor-in-Chief of HCCU and is a senior at CU Boulder majoring in Finance. When she's not doing school work or writing articles, you can probably find her working out, drinking an iced coffee, or scrolling through TikTok. She hopes you enjoy her content!
Sko Buffs!