This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

It is, perhaps painfully, obvious that the holiday season only comes once a year. In fact, it is so obvious that it seems we sometimes forget it. I think one of the reasons why this slips our mind is because life goes on no matter the season; and unfortunately, complications do not stop simply because it is your favorite time of year. Before we know it, the holiday season is over and it feels as if we did not make the most of it. 

Therefore, I have been romanticizing the little things I do that count as “seasonal,” ensuring no activity–no matter how small–goes unnoticed. I’ve also modified everyday things I do to incorporate more holiday spirit. 

Movies & TV

Watching movies and television is something I do quite regularly to unwind from a stressful day, or simply to entertain myself while I cook and eat a meal. Recently, I’ve switched out my typical watchlist with a seasonal one. For example, rather than throwing on a critically acclaimed drama or my go-to sitcom, I’ve opted for autumn movies and shows like “When Harry Met Sally” and “Gilmore Girls”.

Food & Drink

The easiest shift is my coffee order. During this time of year, instead of a classic go-to, I drink something with pumpkin or cinnamon. I also don’t let anyone shame me for being “basic” since my usual cup of black coffee isn’t exactly unique, so why should I feel bad about a pumpkin spice latte? Drink and eat what makes you happy!

Scents

Fall scented candles, perfumes, soaps, and basically anything with a scent to it really enhance the autumnal vibes. Cinnamon brooms and those scented pinecones are some seasonal favorites!

Music

One of my favorite things to do is make a playlist for the season with both songs that are explicitly seasonal and ones that just ~sound~ like fall. 

Decor

Don’t underestimate the power of a banner and some lights! These seemingly small modifications–especially to a tiny dorm room–can have a major impact on the atmosphere of your space.

Just enjoy the season! Autumn can feel fairly short lived and easily overshadowed by the winter holidays, but it doesn’t have to. I do these little things because I am determined to not exit this holiday season with the same sad attitude I get every year, feeling as if I missed out on the seasonal splendor because life got messy. Because, in all honesty, life is never explicitly messier for me, it is actually fairly constant. I suppose I just get upset that “normal” things did not pause and allot me more time to walk through corn mazes and decorate cookies.

I hope these suggestions make fall more festive for you!

Kailynn Renfro

CU Boulder '24

Kailynn is a contributing writer for CU Boulder's Her Campus chapter. She enjoys writing about entertainment, academics, fashion, and more. This is her fifth semester writing for Her Campus. She is a senior history major with minors in both Spanish and education. She is also learning Russian. Kailynn is currently working on an honors thesis, focusing on American perceptions of Soviet women between 1953 and 1964. In addition to Cold War studies, she has worked on late medieval and early modern England. Outside of school and Her Campus, she is an avid fan of film and TV. If she is not on campus or at a cafe, she is at home with a cup of tea working her way through her Letterboxd watchlist. Kailynn also loves to read, cook, and spend time with loved ones.