Style > Beauty

Self-Tanning: A Brief History and Why You Shouldn’t Want to Be Orange

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

During the Colonial era, pale skin and European features were accepted as ideal and fashionable. Beginning in the sixteenth century, slave trading and human trafficking stretched across the Atlantic ocean. According to the National Library of Medicine, “Skin color was a necessary differentiator of types of races of humans in European or Eurocentric race concepts of the eighteenth century…All other attributes included in racial complexes, whether physical, mental, cultural, or psychological, depended on skin color.” Over the next few decades, a pale skin tone reflected a wealthy status, while darker skin and complexions represented exposure to elements and labor.

In 1923, French fashion designer Coco Chanel was photographed with accidental sun-kissed skin. Due to Chanel’s influence and “It girl” status, sun tanning soon became a fashion trend. In the 1940s, it was common for ladies to utilize tea bags as well as UV reflectors with body oil in order to achieve their desired skin color.

However, a sunless tanner made its mark in the 1950s. At Cincinnati Hospital, researcher Eva Wittgenstein discovered that medicinal dihydroxyacetone, commonly referred to as DHA, could tan the outer layer of skin. DHA absorbs into the epidermis, not the bloodstream. In the 1970s, DHA received approval for cosmetic use from the Food and Drug Administration.

As the popularity of self-tanner grew, many companies began adding scents and other ingredients for a longer-lasting tan, such as Erythrulose. While self-tanners may provide glowing, bronzed skin, make sure SPF is included. Otherwise, don’t forget your sunscreen!

We loved Snooki and Paris. Today, we love Kourtney Kardashian and Ariana Grande. Even though bold tans appeared as a trend in the early-2000s and are still appreciated by A-list celebrities today, do not deepen your skin tone to an offensive shade.

My first experience of trying self-tanner at home made me never want to DIY again and stay inside so no one could see the splotches and streaks on my skin. It was embarrassing! As I have done more research for the best pre-tan routine and products for me, I am proud to say I appreciate a little sun-kiss on my face and body before I head out to class. For me, it is a little confidence boost that reminds me of being on vacation while at work in the UMC basement. But I also understand that sometimes self-tanning can go way too far.

Many self-tanning products are marketed as “natural.” But that doesn’t necessarily mean natural for everyone. For individuals with fair skin, a good way to prevent an abnormal shade after your tan finishes developing is to begin with a light shade in the first place. Oftentimes, you can layer from there so that you have a choice if you want to appear a little more bronzed. If you use a color that contrasts a great deal from your true skin tone, your skin will appear orange. 

Cultural appropriation is the inappropriate adoption of elements from one culture or identity. Wearing another culture as a costume is disrespectful because it is harmful to the original culture contexts. A great way to avoid cultural appropriation while using self-tanning products is to start small, get educated on the influences of trends in pop culture, and be open to conversations with your community about different cultures and their experiences.

McKenna Bryant

CU Boulder '25

McKenna Bryant is a writer at the Her Campus at Boulder chapter. Beyond Her Campus, McKenna enjoys writing, as well as recording and editing vlogs for her YouTube channel when she has time. She has previously written for the Orange and Black newsmagazine as Co-Editor in Chief for the student body in Grand Junction, Colorado covering topics ranging from school safety to community events. She is currently a junior at the University of Colorado Boulder, majoring in Journalism with a minor in Sociology. In her free time, McKenna enjoys spending time with her friends and family, staying active, caring for her black cat Arlo, going to concerts at Ball Arena, and exploring museums. Fall is her favorite season, and she cannot wait for Halloween. With a passion for fashion, McKenna enjoys thrifting on the weekends. McKenna is currently exploring upcycling and printmaking on fabric. She is currently obsessed with iced vanilla chai lattes. McKenna enjoys binge watching shows like Breaking Bad and Succession on Netflix. This winter, she hopes to get out into the mountains to start a snowboarding hobby.