Ranking Five Common Tropes as Seen in Romance Books

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Ladies, gentlemen, non-binary babes: it is the month of love. As your resident hopeless romantic, I thought it essential for me to rate five common romance book tropes, in commemoration of this month of consumerist-driven capitalism. As much as I love love, I am simultaneously a cynic at heart: shoutout to all my ex’s that resented this aspect of me when the month of February inevitably rolled around. Now please, keep in mind that my ranking reflects my personal preferences when it comes to common romance tropes. Some of you may not agree with me, and that is perfectly okay! 

5. Love Triangle

Starting off at the absolute bottom of my list would have to be the dreaded love triangle trope. I cannot stand this trope when it comes to romance books. To me, it always feels like there is the obvious person to choose versus the side character whose only purpose is to add unnecessary drama to the plot. There is always a clear choice, in my opinion. Quite frankly, the only thing this trope does is frustrate me (apologies to any love triangle lovers out there, it just isn’t for me). 

4. Second Chance

Coming in hot at number four would have to be the second chance trope. In my personal opinion, I don’t love the values that this trope promotes: as a cynic (and a Taurus), I’m not entirely big on the idea of forgiveness when someone betrays my trust. I don’t love reading stories where the main character inevitably takes their partner back after they mess up just because they apologize for their behavior. To me, actions speak louder than words. That being said, the second chance trope isn’t at the bottom of my list solely because I do love a good groveling scene. 

3. Friends-to-Lovers

I thought it fitting to place the friends-to-lovers trope directly in the middle of my list: it’s not my all-time favorite, but it’s still one of the better tropes out there! A good friends-to-lovers story is a guaranteed wholesome read that’ll fill me with some joy (which is desperately needed when you’re a burnt-out university student). That being said, I would categorize books with this specific trope as safer reads. It feels like there is less angst in these plotlines, which can honestly lead to the story being kind of boring at times. 

2. Grumpy/Sunshine

Coming in second on my list has to be the Grumpy/Sunshine trope. I’m a total sucker for the idea of opposites attracting (as can be evidenced by my number one trope choice, which we will get to later), so this trope is quite literally right up my alley. Extra points are given if the story involves a grumpy girl as the main character. As a cynic, I identify more with the grumpy persona over the sunshine persona: therefore, any plot about a grumpy girl and a sunshine love interest will always be a foolproof way to capture my attention. What can I say? I love to relate to my stories. 

1. Enemies-to-Lovers

Finally, the top spot on my ranking is reserved for the classic enemies-to-lovers trope. If you know anything about me by now, this should come as no surprise. As an argumentative gal, this kind of storyline will always appeal to me. I mean, the chemistry between the characters? The passion? It’s honestly enough to make me swoon just thinking about it. You know what they say: it’s such a fine line between love and hate. Now, is this the most healthy trope out there? Maybe not. But it is definitely the most entertaining one to read. 

You will typically find me with a romance book on hand, especially during this month. There’s just something so appealing about reading about love. It is definitely way more enjoyable than any of the personal romantic experiences I’ve had in my life so far; let me tell you that much. Your favorite resident hopeless romantic, signing off until next time. 

Aarushi Singh

CU Boulder '25

Aarushi is currently a third year at CU Boulder majoring in Neuroscience and Psychology, with a Pre-Med focus. After Undergrad, she hopes to work as an EMT during her gap year before medical school. When she's not studying or working, you can find her reading one of her various romance books, looking for new music to listen to, and binge-watching 'New Girl' for the millionth time.