This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

I’m sure you’ve all heard the tragic news by now: Taylor Swift and Joe Alwyn have broken up. And I’m making this news everybody’s problem. I was in denial about this news for so long, but it’s finally time for me and many other Swifties to face the music. So, for the past couple of weeks, I have only been listening to Taylor Swift songs that are widely believed or confirmed to be about Joe Alwyn. There have been so many beautifully-written songs that have come out of their relationship, so here are my top five Taylor Swift songs about Joe Alwyn. 

5. “Lover”

This song is simply a sweet love song about how Swift has found her lover. She sings about all the little things they do and will continue to do together. I’ve seen people getting married to this song—it’s that romantic. And when I listen to this song, a part of me definitely wants to get up and waltz around to it. But unfortunately, now I listen to it and wonder if love even exists (just kidding, I hope my boyfriend isn’t reading this). 

Favorite Lyric: “Have I known you 20 seconds or 20 years?” 

4. “Invisible String”

This is one of my favorite songs from “Folklore,” and I just think this song is criminally underrated. This song outlines how an invisible string ties together two people before they even know it and eventually brings them together. Listen, I sob to this song because it makes me think about how everything I’ve done and all the people I’ve met, for better or for worse, has led me where I am now. And it’s just so beautiful to think about. But of course, eventually, ties can break, but there will always be an invisible string tying you to your next person. 

Favorite Lyric: “One single thread of gold tied me to you.

3. “Sweet Nothing”

From her newest album, this song is just another sweet love song, and it’s absolutely amazing. This song illustrates the hardships that come with being in the public eye and how Taylor Swift has found someone she can return home to and forget about all that. When times get tough, it is nice to have someone who doesn’t want anything from you but to be yourself. I’ve always thought the tune of this song resembles a children’s nursery rhyme, which highlights the simplicity of their relationship. I think this song is actually the best one off of her album “Midnights” (I know, it’s a hot take), and more people need to appreciate it. 

Favorite Lyric: “To you, I can admit that I’m just too soft for all of it.

2. “Daylight”

The main thing I love about this song is the parallels to one of her earlier songs, “Red.” In that song, she sings about how “loving him was red,” meaning it was wild and passionate, but in the end, it wasn’t a stable love. In “Daylight,” she now finds that love is golden. Like, come on, that’s the sweetest thing ever. Otherwise, I think this song is just so amazing as it compares being in love to something as simple as being in the daylight. It almost felt wrong not to put this one in first, but there’s one that I find slightly more amazing.

Favorite Lyric: “I once believed love would be burning red, but it’s golden.

1. “Cornelia Street”

This song hurts the most after hearing about the breakup (I say this as if it’s my own breakup). This song is about the street of Swift’s former New York apartment. She sings that if she lost her person, she would never walk Cornelia Street again. But it’s not about the street! She’s saying she would never fall in love again. And I will not either, Taylor. Also, here’s a picture of me on Cornelia Street, which I will never walk again.

Favorite Lyric: “I hope I never lose you. I’d never walk Cornelia Street again.” 

Although I am a bit devastated that Taylor Swift and Joe Alwyn broke up (I am taking this way too seriously), I am glad we have such beautiful songs that came from the relationship. It’s hard to listen to any of these songs after the breakup, but I am holding out for an even better breakup album.

Olivia Vasquez

CU Boulder '23

Olivia is a junior at CU majoring in ecology and evolutionary biology. She enjoys being creative by doing activities such as singing, drawing, painting, and crocheting. When she is not doing these things, she is probably getting overly attached to fictional characters.