This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

The shortest month inevitably has the shortest playlist, right? February is always the weirdest month of the year for me, feeling like the longest and almost always filled with turmoil. My ex’s (the worst one) birthday is on February 29th, so I think of him every time leap year is mentioned, which certainly doesn’t help the dread of the month. Here’s to the music that got me through these god-awful 28 days!

“August” by flipturn

Ha, ha, ha, the first song on my February playlist is called August; I get it. 

Fave Lyric: “Do you remember? You used to breathe so loud. Do you remember? The taste, the sound. And it sounded so damn good. And it tastes just like it should.”

“Someday, Somewhere” by Palace

Fave Lyric: “Ghost I wish you well, it’s your life. I pray you find yourself, as souls divide. Seven sisters blue, it’s your life. Left my heart with, left my heart with you.”

“Ticking Heart” by The One AM Radio

Fave Lyric: “Ticking heart, it falls apart. Will Someday start again. Gears wind down to a rusty pulse and its flutter sound won’t fade out. You’re alive. And you’ll love again.”

“Friday Night Big Screen” by girli

Fave Lyric: “I’ll be your Buttercup. You can be my Westley. We can go drivin’ ’round lookin’ all sexy, Friday night big screen.”

“Franklin” by August Eve

Fave Lyric: “Whenever I try and talk to you, you never say the things I need you to. And I wanna leave as much as you wanna see me go. No matter how scared I am, I love you more than you will know.”

“Slow Dancing” by Aly & AJ

Fave Lyric: “Move the kitchen table out to the lawn. Roll up the rug, the stereo’s on. All I can imagine is bein’ in your arms.”

“Aeroplane” by Greer

Fave Lyric: “And now it’s too late, you’re halfway to Maine, way up in a plane. And I’m down here waving bye, bye, bye. You’re not by my side.”

“Black Coffee” by Mal Blum

Fave Lyric: “Some words I’ll never try to say: How I loved you more and more each day. The way you sway your hips as you put your favorite records on.”

“Coffee Breath” by Sofia Mills

Fave Lyric: “I said it’s fine because I’m not happy till I tell a lie. Now my bedsheets smell like your cologne. And in our separate worlds we sleep alone.”

“Utah” by French Cassettes

Fave Lyric: “I wish I could reset the mood for you, we could do the things that we used to do. You’ll know it when I go with someone. What do you mean I’m gone? What do you mean I’m gonna stay?”

To listen to this playlist on Spotify and experience this past month through my ears, go here.

Marita is HCCU's president and a senior studying operations management and marketing with a creative technology and design minor. She loves fashion, design and cooking. In her free time, she loves to go on walks and hang out with her bearded dragon, Walter!