This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

I am always looking for ways to read more. While I love reading physical books, I have found that between reading for pleasure and for school, I am lost in a pile of pages, plots, and information. I began reading audiobooks last year and, since then, I have doubled the reading I typically do in a year! Audiobooks are fun, accessible, and easy for on-the-go reading. With my Audible subscription, I have access to an unlimited number of titles and several Audible exclusive books. Here is a list of my favorite audio reads from the past year.

“Say Nothing: A True Story of Murder and Memory in Northern Ireland” by Patrick Radden Keefe 

This nonfiction account of the troubles in Ireland turned me on to audiobooks. Narrated by Matthew Blaney and his beautiful Irish accent, this book fully immerses you into the trials and tribulations of Irish rebels. From protests, to murders, to individual relationships, this story reads like fiction and spans the scope of the Irish separatist movement. 

“Girlhood” by Melissa Febos 

If you’re looking for a passionate and detailed understanding of the traumas of girlhood, listen to Melissa Febos’s “Girlhood” on Audible. Read by Febos herself, this collection-of-essays-turned-memoir explores the ways in which femininity has shaped her childhood and adulthood. This essay collection will stay with me as I explore adulthood using my young experiences as a guiding force. Read my review of “Girlhood” if you want more information on this stunning book.   

“Shipped” by Angie Hockman 

This cute little romance keeps it PG-13 but also makes your heart go pitter-patter! This story follows our lead character Henley as she is shortlisted for the promotion of her dreams. The only problem? She’s up against her workplace nemesis, Graeme Crawford-Collins. The two journey on an eco-cruise to the Galapagos in this sweet little romance. This was especially fun on audiobook and I recommend using this as your gateway into audio-romance!

“The Kiss Quotient” by Helen Hoang 

Steamy, sweet, and joyful, “The Kiss Quotient” has everything romance readers enjoy. A swoon-worthy leading man, a career-oriented leading lady, Stella and Michael make the perfect couple. This novel attacks several social issues including illness of a family member and ableism, but the audiobook paces and details these subjects dutifully and beautifully! 

“Beach Read” by Emily Henry 

If you haven’t read “Beach Read” yet, you just might be living under a rock. Emily Henry shakes up the romance genre with yet another bookish and joyful couple. Gus and January are my favorite book couple to date. If this audiobook doesn’t make you want to up and move to a secluded lake house, I don’t know what will! This audiobook was a standout because of Henry’s amazing narrator, Julia Whelan. Witty, healing, and romantic, “Beach Read” is a must listen!

“The Ex Hex” by Erin Sterling 

This Halloween romance was the highlight of my October. Follow young witch Vivienne and her dark and brooding ex, Rhys, as they attempt to right a magical wrong. This was the perfect book for us spook-averse readers who still want to celebrate the spirit of Halloween! This audiobook made my car rides so enjoyable and had me walking through colorful trees with a happy little book in my ear to help set the mood. 

“The House in the Cerulean Sea” by TJ Klune 

In my Goodreads reviews, I said this book is “like Harry Potter and Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children had a gay baby filled with sexual innuendos and dark humor.” After rereading this review I simply can’t state it any better! The narrator of this audiobook, Daniel Henning, brings joy and silliness to even the most vulnerable parts of this found family. 

“The Brown Sisters Series” by Talia Hibbert

If you’re in search of a romance book to last you a while, look no further! The Brown Sisters have three romance-filled stories that are sure to steal your heart. “Get a Life, Chloe Brown”, “Take a Hint, Dani Brown”, and “Act Your Age, Eve Brown”  are three separate love stories told about the Brown sisters. Talia Hibbert writes with unparalleled wit and humor. Her stories were as sexy as they were funny. These audiobooks took the steam and the swoon to the next level! 

Audiobooks are an amazing, accessible, and joyful way to experience literature in today’s day and age. I am constantly on the go, but am able to read while walking to class, driving to work, or folding my laundry! Experiencing your favorite books through different mediums is a great way to explore your passion for reading, and this list is a great place to start! Find your next read on Apple Books, Audible, or your local library’s audio resources! 

Alia Davis

CU Boulder '23

Alia is the Director of Outreach and a contributing writer at Her Campus CU Boulder. She is a fourth year student majoring in International Affairs and Anthropology. When she isn't writing articles, she can typically be spotted on a run, watching sad films, or re-reading Dune.