Mistakes to Aviod Senior Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

For a freshman, a sophomore, and even a junior, senior year seems nestled far away in the future. But, when emails labeled graduation arrive in your inbox, or people ask about your career plans – reality sits in. No long will you have the safety blanket of college to fall back on. Soon, you’ll be in the real world. If that’s not stressful enough, any bumps during your senior year can actually set you back in life. But, by taking small steps during your college career, you can avoid mistakes and have a much smoother transition into adulthood.

Always make you’re on track
Nothing, and I mean nothing, is worse than seeing your advisor senior year and finding out your short a few credits to graduate. The lists of requirements are so long and complicated that anyone can accidentally overlook some, especially if you’re working on a double major, a minor or certificate.

How to avoid:
-Know the requirements — core, degree, minors, and certificates.
-Learn how to read your degree audit on MyCUInfo. It provides all the information you need to graduate, and contains a lot of information including class options and GPA.
-The most important thing you can do is to meet with your advisor often, at least once a semester. Your adviser can help answer any questions and always keep you in check.

Do what you love
CU has hundreds of majors. Do not get stuck in a major you hate because you didn’t know a better one existed. 

How to avoid:
-Do your research. Look online, and browse through all the CU majors. If you’re interested in something, there’s probably a major for it.
-If you’re unsure which major suits you, start with your interests. Also, join clubs that correspond with your career aspirations to see if it’s right for you. If that doesn’t work, Career Services provides multiple aptitude tests that can steer you in the right direction.

Start career planning early  
Do not wait until senior year to make a resume or do an internship. The sooner you get experience the better. Learning how to make a resume, write a cover letter and interview are essential skills that you should learn as soon as possible. Internships also provide unbeatable first-hand experience.

How to avoid:
-Go to career workshops. Career Services provides job panels, resume critiques and one-on-one appointments.
-Attend a career fair before you’re a junior. Sure, you’re not looking for a job but you might find a company you want to intern for or meet a contact. You don’t want your first career fair to be the final month of your senior year. 
-Also, apply for jobs and internships. You’ll get experience in the application process and learn from your mistakes.

Don’t work too hard  
College is a time you won’t get back. Do not waste away the years by filling your time with career building. Make some time for yourself and your friends.

How to avoid:
-Put homework aside, and have some fun! 

Anna is a Sophomore at the University of Colorado at Boulder studying Journalism in the News-Editorial track. She is very involved in her sorority, Kappa Alpha Theta, where she is curerntly the Vice President of Development. Also within the Greek Community, Anna writes for The Odyssey, a Greek newspaper. With a spare moment, Anna loves capturing the beauty of everyday through photography, embarking on mini adventures, skiing the peaks, and sipping chai. Nothing relaxes her more than tying on her running shoes and exploring the mountain trails and soaking up Colorado's sun. A recent addition to the Her Campus Team, she is excited for what is to come!