This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Every year, a Medieval European tradition takes place on the Tuesday before Ash Wednesday. This tradition is most commonly known as Mardi Gras (which translates to “Tuesday Fat” in French), a Christian celebration created to welcome Spring and fertility. Though fertility and Christianity are still within the roots of this wide-spread holiday, it is more commonly celebrated through street parties and massive floats accompanying colorful parades. 

This year, Mardi Gras has fallen on the day February 21 and is not only celebrated on the traditional “Fat Tuesday”, but a week full of festivities for all to enjoy. Though there are usually positive and uplifting atmospheres in almost all places that celebrate Mardi Gras, there have been quite a few incidents over the weekend leading up to these events. 

It all started when shots were fired in New Orleans on February 19, during a well-known parade called the Krewe of Bacchus Parade. Within the shooting, one unidentified teenager was killed and four others were injured. New Orleans, being known for their over-the-top Mardi Gras celebrations, did not take this event lightly as panic struck deep in the hearts of partygoers and New Orleans natives. 

wKm4ifgB01t8

Police officers collect evidence at the scene of a shooting that occurred during the Krewe of Bacchus parade in New Orleans, Feb. 19, 2023. ABC News.

This was not the only instance of violence shown over the Mardi Gras weekend. A string of shootings occurred in Columbus, Chicago, and Memphis. There were multiple fatalities and many injuries throughout these horrific events. 

There were also multiple shootings that occurred on Fat Tuesday, a few with only injuries, but one that killed a 50 year old woman. These mainly occurred in New Orleans, the heart of most U.S. Mardi Gras celebrations. 

Not only has there been an increase in mass shootings over the past couple of weeks, but there have also been quite a few during the Mardi Gras celebrations. This realization has been frightening to a lot of people partaking in these events and has brought up the question among them, “Should I continue to go?” 

Mardi Gras is a time of joyous and wild festivities. Though there have been many tragedies over the past week, it is hard to think of a year without Mardi Gras for a lot of people. Celebrations are still set to continue for the next few days and safety precautions and security is expected to be present. If you happen to attend a Mardi Gras celebration within the next week, make sure to get lots of beads and stay wary and cautious.

Katie Snell

CU Boulder '25

Katie is a sophomore at CU Boulder. She is majoring in environmental studies and minoring in sociology. She enjoys being outdoors, taking care of animals, and listening to music.