Lookin’ Fly on the Slopes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

It’s that time of year, well almost (still pre-season). Arapahoe Basin, Keystone, and Breckenridge (opening 11/11) have opened their doors for skiers and snowboarders alike. There’s only one problem it is so cold! How on earth do you stay stylish while shredding the slopes?

If you’re not looking to spend a lot of money there are a few places around town that can give you a really cool, retro bang for your buck. I know it sounds crazy, but Good Will is an amazing place to find awesome old-school jackets that are super affordable. Another second hand place to find cool jackets and pants is Buffalo Exchange.  In a town with 30,000+ students, Buffalo Exchange is a great place to find discounted designer-esque ski clothes.

If you’re not on a budget and are looking to either spoil yourself or for things to ask your parents for Christmas, check out these cool spots for ski clothes. Now, this one took me by surprise, but Billabong  has amazing ski clothes for this season. Normally thought of as a store for surf clothes, they have really transformed the store for the winter season. They’ve got lots of mittens, gloves, hats, bright colored pants and jackets, for everyone’s taste. If you want to go more classic, look at Patagonia wear. While it’s definitely more on the expensive side, they have long-lasting ski clothes that will last throughout the years.

While I would like to endorse cool hats and headbands for the slopes, I must encourage the use of helmets. Even a small accident without a helmet could cost you your life. Just simply wearing a helmet could save your life. But just because it’s a helmet doesn’t mean it can’t be fresh. There’s a ton of options for helmets all around our fine town. So if you’re going to head up to the slopes, pre-season or even when the season starts you can look stylish while staying safe.

Anna is a Sophomore at the University of Colorado at Boulder studying Journalism in the News-Editorial track. She is very involved in her sorority, Kappa Alpha Theta, where she is curerntly the Vice President of Development. Also within the Greek Community, Anna writes for The Odyssey, a Greek newspaper. With a spare moment, Anna loves capturing the beauty of everyday through photography, embarking on mini adventures, skiing the peaks, and sipping chai. Nothing relaxes her more than tying on her running shoes and exploring the mountain trails and soaking up Colorado's sun. A recent addition to the Her Campus Team, she is excited for what is to come!