This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

On November 13th, 2021, the final night of the Denver Film Festival had approached. The final Red Carpet Screening would be “King Richard,” directed by Reinaldo Marcus Green and starring Will Smith. The highly anticipated film was greeted warmly by myself and the rest of the DFF audience, as we were laughing at all of Smith’s witty one-liners as Richard Williams and applauding after the end credits.

“King Richard” follows Richard Williams as he attempts to make his daughters, Venus and Serena, the best tennis players in the world. Though the film follows the young Williams’ tennis careers, it also highlights themes of family and hardship and is based on the story that will “inspire the world.”

Effort in their Craft

It’s no question that Serena and Venus Williams have talent; however, becoming Wimbleton and Grand Slam champions does not occur overnight. “King Richard” highlights this perfectly, through Richard Williams’ 78-page plan in order to make his daughters the best tennis players in the world. The plan included meticulous actions and constant belief in its integrity, which is questioned often by Venus and Serena’s tennis coaches and their own mother, Brandi. 

Richard has always believed in the power of the plan; however, none of it would have been possible without the work both Venus and Serena put in. They give off calmness and confidence in every situation they encounter, and the audience can’t help but root for them during their journey to the top.

Discrimination

Though “King Richard” concerns Serena and Venus’ early athletic careers in tennis, the film does not shy away from the probing problems of discrimination and racially-motivated violence towards the Black community.

There are instances of police brutality on TV while Williams’ family is eating dinner, strange looks and comments from the majorly white tennis community, and even a welfare check from a social worker. While this is never the main premise of the film, it does give a message to the audience that these problems still remain prevalent and constantly in the background within the Black community.

Story About Family

In many ways, the film is about the Williams family and their perseverance, rather than tennis. Richard and Brandi Williams have raised their five girls to be respectful and studious, getting the best grades in their school. They do this in hope that they can get their children off the streets and into better lives as adults. All the girls see the resilience and dedication their parents put towards them, portraying a deep connection within the first few minutes of the film. 

Will Smith plays Richard Willams as a devoted, witty, and prepared father. He acts as though he knows everything and while he usually does, there are times where his plan doesn’t go accordingly and he must deal with his own insecurities of failure. Brandi Williams (played by Aunjanue Ellis) lets her husband lead the household, but we see through the film that she’s truly the one with the reins and cares deeply for everyone, her daughters especially. 

However, Venus and Serena (played by Saniyya Sidney and Demi Singleton) are the ones who show true grit and determination. Though everything is planned out for them by their father, they’re the ones that must decide if they want to put in the work in order to be the best in the world. At such a young age, the audience watches them mature into their own personalities and their own values towards tennis and the world around them. Together with their parents and the rest of their sisters, this film creates a heartwarming atmosphere of love for the audience to enjoy.

A Must-Watch

Everyone should watch “King Richard.” The hard work these athletes put in to be successful along with all the life occurrences surrounding their careers make this film not only interesting but meaningful. Audiences are able to connect with the Williams family and experience everything high and low that the family does. Most of all, the directing, acting, and script work is phenomenal. With Serena and Venus as executive producers, the audience can be confident that their story was told right.

“King Richard” is now playing in theaters and on HBO Max.

Anna Bedell

CU Boulder '25

Anna Bedell is the social media director at the Her Campus, CU Boulder chapter. She writes content mainly on entertainment and culture, along with personal essays and experiences. A junior at the University of Colorado, Boulder, Anna is majoring in business administration with an emphasis in marketing and a minor in journalism. She’s recently studied abroad at Bocconi University in Milan, Italy for the fall semester. An involved student in the business school, Anna writes for the school’s marketing department, is a representative for the Leeds Student Government, and works as a Leeds Student Ambassador. Outside of school, you’ll find Anna rock climbing, watching movies, writing, or traveling around. She’s sure to constantly update her Spotify profile and will never miss an opportunity to talk about her cat, Biscuit.