This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

By this point, you’ve probably seen the TikToks and social media posts about people’s journeys of self-discovery throughout the pandemic. The before and after photos, the progress montages, and the results of a whole mindset change summarized in thirty seconds. Seeing other people’s progress can inspire some, but it becomes a problem when it’s everywhere and you just can’t relate. 

tik tok app on black iphone
Photo by Solen Feyissa from Unsplash

This pandemic has given many people a very long length of time to be at home, have more time on their hands, and room to breathe without the suffocation of societal expectations. To many, this extra time and space seem like the perfect opportunity to become the best version of yourself, and this can make those that didn’t have that opportunity feel like they are behind somehow. It can feel like everyone is progressing in leaps while you’ve only taken a step. However, having this time and space doesn’t mean that someone is going to come out the other side of a global trauma event a changed person. Most people are simply trying to keep up with school and work, be there for their families, or simply stay healthy and alive. Not to mention, no one will ever share the entire story of their journey with you, especially not on social media. They may make it look like it happened quickly and painlessly, but progress of any kind takes a multitude of smaller steps, with some making a bigger impact than others. 

COVID
Photo by United Nations COVID-19 Response from Unsplash

Although not everyone has changed dramatically, it doesn’t take away from the fact that people have accomplished so much amidst a global health crisis. People have found jobs, welcomed new family members, graduated, finished projects, protested, gotten engaged, started that book they’ve been meaning to read, gotten through a stressful semester, and simply got out of bed in the morning. These may not seem like monumental things, but they are just as important as any major life changes. You may not have changed completely, but you grew whether you noticed it or not. The little things have nourished you, strengthened you, and prepared you for whatever is next. 

Her Campus Media

You didn’t waste time by not transforming yourself during this pandemic, even learning something small about yourself is okay. Other people having these monumental revelations doesn’t diminish how you live your life and what you attribute to being successful. 

Above all, the government did not intend social distancing to be a time of self-reflection; they meant it to be a safety measure. If you didn’t change drastically, it just means that you didn’t need that big of a change in your life to begin with. Humans are ever developing, so you’ll have plenty of time and chances as life moves on to become who you truly are and want to be. As the saying goes, good things take time.

Photo by Fab Lentz

Samantha is an Editorial Assistant and Contributing Writer for CU Boulder's chapter of Her Campus. In her editorial position, she edits articles for clarity and provides guidance to other writers so they can improve their skills. As a contributing writer, she submits two articles per month, often writing in depth about social phenomena. Aside from Her Campus, Samantha is a senior at CU Boulder, double majoring in philosophy and sociology. She's currently working on an Honors Thesis in philosophy and hopes to go to law school after graduating in May 2024. She is involved in campus organizations like the Miramontes Arts and Sciences Program, the CU LA Program, and the Honors Program. This semester, she’s a mentor for learning assistants as an LA Mentor. Outside of a school setting, Samantha enjoys crocheting, reading, and writing. Overall, she’s very quiet, and her hobbies reflect that. She can usually be found with heaps of yarn or her nose buried in a book, silently enjoying her time alone. In addition to writing as a member of Her Campus, she enjoys writing short stories and pieces about her life. One of her biggest goals is to publish a book of stories and pieces that almost act as a memoir.
Sko Buffs!