body images 2019 03 12 DSC 3181JPG?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
body images 2019 03 12 DSC 3181JPG?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Interview with a Music Student During Covid-19

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

No matter what your major is, this pandemic has hit everyone hard. Online classes have been a serious adjustment, the new guidelines have been hard to get used to, and staying safe and healthy has been stressful enough. After the university moved online, the College of Music was forced to rearrange all of its classes and requirements. For this article, I interviewed music student Yuna Langehennig to see firsthand how musicians have been impacted by this new normal.

Yuna is a junior in the College of Music at the University of Colorado, Boulder , majoring in flute performance with a certificate in music entrepreneurship. Pre-covid, Yuna worked as an RA at Libby Hall and enjoyed being so close to the Imig Music Building and the library on campus. She would even practice in her room, which would attract other students to listen and ask questions about the music even if they weren’t fellow music majors. “It was a great way to build community,” Yuna remarked.

However, just like everyone else at CU, Yuna’s life was changed by covid-19. “It’s been difficult,” she told me, and she of course isn’t the only one who feels that way. To many, it felt like CU became a different place during March. Campus changes forced Yuna to leave her job as an RA, as life in the dorms became unsafe once the number of cases began to grow. 

COVID Vaccine
Photo by Daniel Schludi from Unsplash

However, Yuna expressed that the biggest adjustment was the lack of performance opportunities for music students. Concerts, recitals, theater performances at CU became too high-risk for anyone to perform in or attend. Yuna’s orchestra met twice this semester, but when Boulder locked down, they were forced to postpone the performance to spring. Even student recitals, a degree requirement and time for students to perform for their loved ones, now mostly take place virtually. “I have to be patient and find pieces at home that fuel my soul,” Yuna expressed. The pandemic has affected Yuna’s future, as well. So many performers are out of a job, so Yuna has also considered having a teaching studio after graduating. She is also prioritizing having good recording equipment accessible since recording virtually has been one of the only ways musicians can perform these days.

Despite the less-than-ideal circumstances, the College of Music has done its best to provide a fulfilling experience for its students. Yuna remarked how impressive it was that the college was able to move courses online. For working students like Yuna, this made classes more accessible. One additional rule the college has implemented is that students have to reserve practice rooms. In previous years, students would really have to search for a practice room, but now that is no longer an issue. Professors and administrators have also done a great job moving their classes online–virtual music school is not easy, but everyone has done their best to make it work.

To conclude our interview on a positive note (no pun intended!), I asked Yuna what her favorite part of being a music major was. “There are so many things I enjoy,” she replied. She said that overall, what drew her to CU was the positive environment in the College of Music, created by the students and faculty. Unlike in public schools where band kids can feel like the odd ones out, music school provides a space where everyone can “nerd out” over music together. Programs like the entrepreneurship center have promoted that as well, providing spaces for music students to collaborate and be creative. “Sharing our love for music that way,” Yuna commented with a smile. 

In the midst of a confusing time for musicians, the College of Music has done a great job keeping students motivated and passionate about their craft. While no one knows when performances will be safe again, musicians are all “waiting in the wings” for the moment they can continue to share their talents with the world.

Jordyn Stapleton has been a National Lifestyle Writer for Her Campus since February 2023. She covers a variety of topics in her articles, but is most passionate about writing about mental health and social justice issues. Jordyn graduated from CU Boulder in December 2022 with Bachelor’s degrees in music and psychology with a minor in gender studies and a certificate in public health. Jordyn was involved in Her Campus during college, serving as an Editorial Assistant and later Editor-in-Chief for the CU Boulder chapter. She has also worked as a freelance stringer for the Associated Press. Jordyn is currently taking a gap year and working at a local business in Boulder, with hopes of attending graduate school in fall 2024. Jordyn enjoys reading, bullet journalling, and listening to (preferably Taylor Swift) music in her free time. If she isn’t brainstorming her next article, you can usually find her exploring coffee shops or hiking trails around Boulder with her friends.
Sko Buffs!