Incoming Freshmen: Wardrobe Necessities at CU Boulder

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Shopping for a college wardrobe can be intimidating, especially when you want to make a good impression on your peers. Especially as an incoming freshman or transfer student, it can be nearly impossible to figure out what other college students are wearing until you show up for the first day of classes. But fear no longer; as a junior at CU, I have more than my fair share of CU Boulder fashion knowledge. 

Converse. 

Are you even a Boulder girly if you don’t own a pair of converse? Gone are the days of Adidas Superstars and Air Force 1s ruling the streets; it’s time to invest in a pair of Converse. I love Converse because there are so many styles and colors to choose from that no matter your aesthetic, you will hopefully find a pair for you. (I have the Chuck 70 Counter Climate in green so I can stay fashionable even when campus is covered in snow). 

Yoga Pants. 

CU girls love their athletic wear. Black yoga pants are a must. Whether an art major who needs something comfy and basic to pair with a bright sweater, or a communications major who lives in athleisure, there’s not a female within a two mile radius of campus who doesn’t have at least one pair of leggings. 

Puffy Jacket or Vest. 

While I tend to overheat unless it’s below 40℉, the coat of choice of many Boulder women is a simple puffy jacket (usually in beige or black). Puffy vests like the North Face one I have are also popular. The warmer you are on campus, the cooler you look!

Beanies and Snapbacks.

Whether it’s 90℉ and sunny or overcast and blizzarding, Boulder students love the outdoors. For the warmer months I recommend a baseball cap or snapback to protect you from the sun in style. And as soon as the wind gets stronger, the leaves fall, and snow hits the ground, you will be thankful for your favorite beanie. Pair either hat with some space buns and you will for sure be mistaken as a student. 

Oversized Pants.

Straying away from the athleisure side of Boulder fashion, oversized pants are also common pieces for many students. There’s nothing more Boulder than a pair of cargo pants (bonus points if they’re thrifted) paired with a tote bag and a chunky sweater.

While there are 1,000s of students attending CU Boulder, many of us have similar fashion tastes. There are the athleisure girls who rock up to class in their bright Lululemon tanks and yoga pants, the artsy girls who swear by thrifted clothing and mixing patterns, the granola girls who always look like they just finished hiking or snowboarding, and the business girls who sport slicked-back hair and suit coats on their way to class, but no matter which aesthetic you fall into, most CU girls swear by these five items.

Lanaya Oliver

CU Boulder '24

Lanaya Oliver is the Editor-in-Chief and a contributing writer at the Her Campus Chapter at the University of Colorado at Boulder. As Editor-in-Chief, she oversees a team of editors, is the lead publisher and editor, and works as a campus corespondent. Outside of Her Campus, Lanaya is a senior at the University of Colorado Boulder. She is double majoring in both Psychology and Spanish with a minor in Sports Media. Her writing career started in high school when she was elected the position of school wide poet laureate after winning a poetry contest in her sophomore year. Now Lanaya’s writing has evolved from creative pieces to profiles and articles for her Her Campus articles. In her personal life, Lanaya is an ACE certified personal trainer and teaches both cycle and barre classes. Fitness is her passion and more often than not she can be found lifting weights, riding a bike, or running. She also enjoys being outdoors, binge watching movies, spending time with friends, thrift shopping, and munching on any white cheddar flavored snack she can find. Lanaya hopes to find a balance between her love for writing and her dreams of working in the fitness industry in her future career.