This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Regardless of if you’ve made more friends than you can handle or if you miss your high school buddies a little too much, freshman year is hard for everyone. So, here’s how I handle distracting myself from those lonely blues. 

1. Finding a hobby.

As embarrassing as it sounds, I’ve finally realized I don’t have any hobbies now that I’m in college. In high school it was easy to participate in sports and extracurricular courses, but now I find myself staring at the walls when I’m finally finished studying. Luckily, we live in a pretty unique place with a lot of room for possibility. So, maybe it’s time to finally try out rock climbing or a dance class at the rec center. Yes, you might be a lot worse compared to the kids who’ve been doing it their whole life, but you know what the best part is about sucking? You can’t suck anymore than you already are. So, take out a piece of paper and try to draw a tree. Even if you can’t remember where to put the branches– you’ll figure it out for the next time. As Nike reminds us, just do it. 

1. Mother fucking self-care.

It’s easy to immerse yourself in the endless aesthetically-pleasing TikToks filled with skin care tips and hair tending tricks, but have you ever actually tried any of them? As a freshman living in the dorms, it can be less-than-ideal to practice your favorite self care trends in a public restroom. So, plug in your headphones, splurge on a new face mask, and make it the best it can be. 

1. Chef it up.

No, I’m not talking about microwavable mac and cheese in the comfort of your room. Leave your safety blanket and take a trip to the community kitchen. Trust me, I was nervous to go make myself a meal down there, but honestly the only people that you will interact with are the ones willing to be your friends. And, if you haven’t mastered the art of boiling water, it’s about time you learned. We are “adults” after all.

Cook Pasta
Alex Frank / Spoon
  1. Burn right through those blue light glasses.

Our generation gets enough hate for the amount of time we spend staring at our screens, so we might as well put that time to good use. Call up a friend or family member; trust me, they miss you as much as you miss them. If you don’t feel close enough to contact them so directly, a text can go a long way. Even commenting on a social media post can be a great way to reach out. Take advantage of the invisible world we have right under our fingertips. There’s so many negatives about social media and the internet that we often forget about its biggest benefit: the possibilities for connection. So, start connecting!

The big takeaway? Just try something new and open up to the possibilities around you. Trust me, nobody cares if you embarrass yourself.

Kate Paxton

CU Boulder '26

Kate Paxton is a writer and member of Her Campus Colorado University Boulder. She writes articles covering a variety of topics like wellness, college life, and films. Previously, she was an editor for her high school's newspaper The Mustang, where she oversaw the comedy section and contributed articles. She is currently a sophomore at CU Boulder, majoring in psychology with a pre-health emphasis. In her free time, she enjoys spending quality time with friends and family, binge watching sitcoms, and therapeutically cleaning her room.