This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Recently on TikTok, there has been conversation about achieving a particular idyllic style and vibe known as the “Clean Girl” aesthetic. According to Dictionary.com, the Clean Girl can be defined as “a beauty, fashion, and lifestyle trend based around a look that’s intended to appear elegantly casual but also minimalist and effortless.” This is a recent trend that has captured the attention of many late high school and early college students and has definitely captured mine. Though I am still learning more about the aesthetic, I thought I would give an unofficial guide containing steps towards the goal of being a “clean girl.” 

Step 1: Find Influencers with the “Clean Girl Aesthetic.”

After countless hours daily on TikTok, I came across a few influencers who I think are the “poster girls” for this aesthetic.  

The first one is Darcy McQueeny (@darcymcqueenyyy). With 1.2 million followers on TikTok, Darcy is very influential and is known for her massive clothing hauls and Lululemon collection. Her style is composed of clean colors, sweat suits, and corset tops paired with jeans. Darcy’s page mainly consists of “get ready with me” videos and hauls that contribute to her “clean girl” style.

One of my personal favorites is Emilie Kiser (@emiliekiser). She has 2 million followers on TikTok and is praised for her perfection of the Legging Curls method. Her page consists of “get ready with me” content and displaying her husband and son while running family errands. Emilie’s hairstyles perfectly encapsulate the Clean Girl Aesthetic, as they are mostly slicked-back looks with pearl or bamboo clips. Her makeup is also very simple and light, focusing on making her skin look clear and effortless. 

Another influencer who I’m not too familiar with is Kennedy Powers (@kennedy.powers). Kennedy is a college student who is working towards her clinical hours. From what I can tell, most of her videos take viewers through her day-to-day life and showcase her outfits of the day. She is also known for her hairstyles and for her simplistic style and makeup.

Step 3: Get a solid skincare routine.

A lot of people who maintain the Clean Girl Aesthetic have set skincare methods that they use daily. A lot of these routines consist of moisturizers and hydrators from the brands Drunk Elephant, Sol De Janeiro, and Laneige. All of which are very expensive. Some less expensive brands are CeraVe, Ulta and Sephora branded moisturizers, and lotion brands such as Nivea and Dove. These seem to work in order to keep the skin clear and offer a shiny glow in return. 

Step 4: Perfect your minimalist makeup.

Another thing about “clean girls” is that they keep makeup pretty minimalistic. Bright colors are only on the face in the form of blush or lip tint and keep the face makeup light and bright. Mascara, brow gel, and smooth skin are the focuses of the finished makeup look. Common makeup brands used to achieve this are Charlotte Tilbury, Patrick Ta, Benefit, and Tarte. There are also more affordable beauty brands within drugstores and Target. 

Step 5: Get the wardrobe.

This part is probably the most expensive part of achieving this aesthetic and can add up fairly quickly. There are plenty of look-books and inspiration all over TikTok and Pinterest, but I thought I would provide a small shortcut. Clean Girl outfits consist of a lot of basics such as neutral-colored tops, high-waisted loose jeans, and matching sweat sets. Popular brands that carry these styles are Aritzia, Princess Polly, Free People, and other high-end brands. Amazon is a cheaper alternative to these stores, yet maybe less environmentally sustainable. 

Step 6: Test out hairstyles and products.

Slicked back hairdos have been notorious for this aesthetic. Whether it’s slicked back buns, braids, or even down, it is a staple of this style. Many influencers I’ve seen use either wax sticks (which are usable for hair) or products from the brand Dae, to achieve this sleek look. I’ve personally tried this method, and I looked bald, but perhaps someone with thicker hair could pull this off well. 

Step 7: Put the pedal to the metal, baby!

After doing most of these steps you should be able to pass as an official “Clean Girl”! Of course there are exceptions to these steps and this is quite an expensive lifestyle to upkeep. But if you can afford it and look good while doing it, more power to you! Here’s to being clean, cute, and chic.   

Katie Snell

CU Boulder '25

Katie is a sophomore at CU Boulder. She is majoring in environmental studies and minoring in sociology. She enjoys being outdoors, taking care of animals, and listening to music.