This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

As the general election of 2020 approaches, voting has recently become a hot topic in our country. Voting will become especially interesting this year as the coronavirus has, and continues to, take its toll on U.S. society. Here is a list of the several (but certainly not the only) ways in which COVID-19 may influence our voting decisions in 2020. 

Less Confidence in the U.S. Image.

According to a survey conducted by the Pew Research Center, around 62% of Americans claim that the response of the U.S. to the coronavirus outbreak has been less effective compared to other wealthy nations. Taking this data into account, it reveals that something must be done to improve how the U.S. carries out its policies, not only in response to the pandemic, but also to any other unexpected situations that may take place in the future. 

Health Care Access.

There has recently been reduced access to health care in the U.S., and a good portion of this need for access is mainly for reasons regarding the pandemic. Data from the Research and Development Survey shows that 38.7% of U.S. adults were unable to receive care in the last two months due to COVID-19. 

Racial Issues. 

In addition to Black Lives Matter, there has also emerged an increasing awareness of Anti-Asian Racism and xenophobia concerning the coronavirus outbreak. A reporting center created by Asian American groups called STOP AAIP HATE stated to have received a total of 1,497 reports of coronavirus-related racial incidents in its first four weeks. 

While the coronavirus outbreak has posed various challenges to American society, it’s especially important to reflect what you value through your vote. That is why your vote matters. Stand up for what you believe in, and help contribute to the greater good of our country.  

To get started, click here to register to vote. 

Gennah Penalosa is currently the social media director for Her Campus CU Boulder. She is a senior studying finance at the Leeds School of Business. When she is not doing homework, you can find her listening to music or drawing the face of a random celebrity.
Sko Buffs!