How Cancel Culture Has Changed Social Media In The Past Five Years

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Within this past decade, we have seen numerous people be canceled, from James Charles to Chrissy Teagan. There have been times where people will post videos of why you should cancel a person with the intent of ruining someone’s career, and sometimes their relationships with the people around them. It seems now that every celebrity that we know is begging to be canceled, causing people to attack others.

laptop open to Google search bar
Photo by Benjamin Dada from Unsplash

Why can cancel culture be beneficial, and is it actually relevant, or is there always an apology that people do not mean? Well, it seems that it can go both ways for example, how many times has Trisha Paytes or Jeffree Star been canceled with actual consequences? This is also highly true for the Kardashians and Jenners where people have an issue with them appropriating a culture, and making it trendy for other people instead of actually acknowledging that what they did was wrong and apologizing for it.

On the other hand, there have been cases where someone has posted either racist, sexist, or highly inappropriate things on social, and have gotten their shows canceled or have had a difficult time jobs, because of their past behavior. So does this mean that you can only be canceled if you do not reach a certain standard of fame? Although cancel culture has changed everyone’s lives, it seems that we all have a boundary of what we view to be too far for someone to go in order to be canceled.

How is cancel culture extremely toxic? On social media, there are so many different types of drama channels, magazines, and companies whose full intent is to try and dig something up on someone that may seem “too good to be true”. In many cases, this has left people dealing with online bullying, and constantly being attacked by people in person that they don’t know at all, just because it seems to be okay in today’s age.

How have we grown in the past five years because of canceled culture? People are now starting to become more educated on certain subjects that they did not know was offensive to someone before, and are able to learn, and grow from something. It has also been a way for people to really take a second to think about what they post on social media. 

Unsplash/Kon Karampelas

What have we learned about culture in the media? Is it just the expectations in the media today, or will we develop in using new forms of culture in the future? Is this a beneficial way of holding people accountable? Cancel culture is something that is so new to social media, and the media in general, that people seem to be guiding their way of how they approach the media now versus how they approached the media twenty years ago based on it.

Woman writing the word "Bye" on a mirror with red lipstick
Photo by cottonbro from Pexels

Media has created this new culture that is very controversial and leaves somebody being canceled every month. It has created this atmosphere where people are constantly waiting to attack someone the second someone exposes aspects of their lives that they never thought would get out. Is cancel culture a bad thing, or does it need to stick around?

Angelique is a Junior at CU Boulder studying Journalism with a double minor in Business and Communication. In her free time, you can find her looking for a new place to discover in Colorado.
Sko Buffs!