Career

How to Answer the Dreaded “Do You Have Any Questions?”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

“Do you have any questions for me?” Job interviews are scary things. Often times, the beginning and the end seem like the only thing that determine the outcome of said interview. It can also seem like an interview went amazing, but the last question asked always brings it down. So, we circle back. “Do you have any questions for me?” You smile, you think, hard, and have nothing. You say no, and what seemed like an amazing connection suddenly turns into such an awkward experience. 

It is not an easy question to answer. Do not worry, I have compiled a list of questions to answer the question we all like to avoid.

“Is there anything I can clarify for you?”

This one is simple, but it works. It shows the interviewer that you want the position, and that you have the skills it takes for it. It also allows for room for the interviewer to ask anything they didn’t catch, opening up a larger field of communication.

“If you could describe this company in one word, what would it be?”

This one is my favorite. Yes, I know. It seems a little weird. It works like a charm though. This auestion is one that interviewer is definitely not getting asked often, so you will stick out. It also allows the interviewer to brag about the company, and creates space for you to tailor yourself to their reply. 

“What are you looking for in the individual that you hire?”

Job listings talk about responsabilities, but they don’t always talk about quality. Asking this questions tells you exactly what that company is looking for, and you then know which of your strengths align with what they are seeking. 

“What are the largest challenges of this position?”

This is a great response because it shows that you are up for the challenge, and that you are willing to learn and adapt to the requirements of the position, which is what every interviewer is looking for. 

“What is the next step I should take after this interview?”

Read that again. I bet at first glance you thought you already ask that question. However, that question asks about the action you should personally take, not what the next steps in general are. This simple way of rephrasing a common question shows initiative, and that this is a position you are genuienly interested in.

Job interviews are not easy. A bit of preparation and cofidence, however, make all of the difference. Being an authentic version of yourself while selling the best qualities of yourself is not easy, but asking questions that shift the interview to what the interviewer is looking for makes it that much easier. Having a response to the dreaded ” Do you have any questions?” is the easiest way to show that you care, and to set you apart from other candidates.

Noelia Salazar

CU Boulder '23

Noelia is majoring in international affairs with a minor in communications. She is passionate about social change and bringing light to topics not talked about enough. She loves books, makeup, and coffee. In her free time, she's probably rewatching Gilmore Girls.
Sko Buffs!