Holiday Cocktails That Will Keep Spirits Bright

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

What are the holidays without a little bubbly? We all need a little something to distract us from our grandparents asking us if we have a significant other or what we want to do after college. With winter break upon us, it’s time to kick back by the fireplace and watch the snow fall, all with a drink in your hand, of course. Here are some tasty holiday cocktails to kick off the festivities:

Christmas Sangria

Ingredients:

• 2 bottles Pinot Grigio or Chardonnay (I used Soverain Chardonnay!)

• 3/4 cup sparkling apple cider

• 1/4 cup sugar

• 1/4 cup cranberries, halved

• 3/4 cup cranberries, whole

• 1 Granny Smith apple, chopped

• 3 rosemary sprigs

• Garnish: rosemary sprigs

Directions:

1. Combine all ingredients in a large pitcher.

2. Stir together with a large wooden spoon to help the sugar dissolve.

3. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving.

4. Serve chilled with a garnish of rosemary sprigs. Make sure to get some of the fruit in every glass!

The North Pole

Ingredients:

• 4 ounces vodka

• 2 ounces Kahlúa or more to taste

• 4 tablespoons chocolate syrup

• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

• 3 teaspoons molasses

• 1/8 teaspoon ginger

• 1/2 cup heavy cream or whole milk

• whipped cream candy canes and gingerbread cookies, for serving (optional)

Directions:

In a cocktail shaker combine the vodka, Kahlúa, chocolate syrup, vanilla, molasses, and ginger. Shake until well combined. Add ice and shake again. Strain into 4 glasses. Top off each glass with heavy cream. Dollop with whipped cream and garnish as desired. DRINK!

White Christmas Margarita Punch

Ingredients:

• 10 ounces silver tequila

• 8 ounces grand marnier

• 8 ounces lime juice

• 8 ounces coconut water

• 8 ounces canned coconut milk

• 6 ounces coconut cream

• 6 ounces coconut rum

• 6 ounces simple syrup

• 1 teaspoon coconut extract, if desired for garnish: sprigs of rosemary and fresh cranberries

Directions:

Mix all ingredients together well – I find that for a large scale drink like this with something creamy (the coconut), it works best to make it in a large measuring glass or bowl and whisk it all together as opposed to shaking it. If desired, you can add 1 to 2 teaspoons of coconut extract for more islandy coconut flavor! Taste and add more syrup if you’d like more sweetness.

Note: to make the simple syrup, combined equal parts sugar and water (like 1 cup sugar, 1 cup water) in a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk constantly until the sugar dissolves and the mixture comes to a boil, then remove from heat and let cool completely.

Candy Cane Jello Shots

Ingredients:

• Sweetened Condensed Milk

• sugar

• Peppermint Schnapps

• Vanilla vodka

• 2 packets of Knox gelatin

• 1 Cherry Jello packet

• Whipped Cream

• Crushed candy canes

Directions:

1. Cherry Jello:

2. Boil your boxed jello with one cup of water.

3. Stir to combine.

4. When the Jello is dissolved pour in a cup of “cold” vanilla vodka.

5. Stir to combine.

6. Set to the side at room temp.

7. White Layer:

8. Pour 1 cup water and 3 tablespoon condensed milk into a sauce pan.

9. Add 2 packets of Knox gelatin on top and let it sit for a few minutes.

10. Turn on the stove to medium to high heat.

11. Stir to combine.

12. Add about 3 tablespoons of sugar to the mixture.

13. Stir to combine.

14. Add 1 cup cold peppermint schnapps.

15. Stir to combine.

16. Set to the side at room temp.

17. Add 1 tbsp. of red jello to your shot glasses and place them at a tilted angle in a muffin pan.

18. Wait for the jello to harden (about 30-45 mins).

19. Add 1 tsp. of white jello on top of the red jello

20. Wait for the jello to harden (about 20-35 mins).

21. Repeat 2x

22. Fill your glass with the remaining red jello and let it harden.

23. Top with whipped cream and crushed candy canes.

The Whiskey Rose Cocktail

Ingredients:

• 1.5 oz rye whiskey

• 1/2 oz rosemary simple syrup

• 1/2 oz lemon juice

• Sparkling apple soda such as IZZE Sparkling Apple

• bitters

• Sprig of rosemary and slice of apple for garnish

Directions:

First make the Rosemary Simple Syrup. Add one cup of sugar and one cup of water to a saucepan and bring to a boil. Once sugar is dissolved, remove from the heat and add 3 sprigs of fresh rosemary. Once its cooled, strain the simple syrup and place in a lid tight container. Keep any extra refrigerated. For the Whiskey Rose, in a cocktail glass, stir together whiskey, simple syrup, and lemon juice. Add a scoop of ice. Top with sparkling apple soda, then dash with bitters. Garnish with your rosemary and your apple slice. Cheers!

Broiled Bailey’s Baked Hot Chocolate

Ingredients:

• 3 cups milk

• 1/3 cup half and half

• 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

• 1/2 cup Bailey’s Irish Cream

• Marshmallows

Directions:

1. In a small saucepan, add milk and half and half. Turn on medium heat and let mixture warm up. Add chocolate chips.

2. Let chocolate chips melt in milk mixture, whisking frequently. Once the chocolate has fully combined, add Bailey’s. Stir to combine and transfer to oven safe mugs.

3. Turn on broiler to low. Place marshmallows on top of hot chocolate and place mug under broiler. Keep the oven door open and watch your marshmallows, they cook fast! Once your marshmallows are nice and toasty, remove from heat (use an oven mitt!) and enjoy!

Wishing you all happy holidays and a wonderful New Year.

Your girl,

Nikki B.

Nikki Blum

CU Boulder '20

My name is Nikki Blum and I'm a Junior at CU Boulder majoring in Marketing. I'm from Colorado and I love to run, shop, and hang out with friends! When I'm not in school, I run my own company called Nikki B's College Tees where make custom tailgate/game day t-shirts and sell to college students all over the country! My business is my pride and joy and I hope to one day work in a career that combines fashion and entrepreneurship.
Sko Buffs!