Harry Potter Connections You Missed In Fantastic Beasts 2

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

If you’re a Harry Potter super fan like me or even if you have any type of social media then there’s no doubt you’re familiar with J. K. Rowling’s most recent project: the Fantastic Beasts movies. The second movie in the series, Fantastic Beasts 2: The Crimes of Grindelwald, came out last week and has been a HUGE success. It was also riddled with connections to Harry Potter. Here’s a list of all the connections you might’ve missed:

Nicolas Flamel

Nicolas Flamel was first introduced in the first Harry Potter book – Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone. Now fans get to see who Flamel was for themselves. In addition, we get to enjoy a cameo from the Sorcerer’s Stone itself!

Whomping Willow

During the flashback to Newt and Leta at Hogwarts, they are standing next to a tree that looks very similar to the Whomping Willow, introduced in the Chamber of Secrets. However, this reference is questionable since Professor Lupin reveals to Harry Potter that they planted the Whomping Willow the same year he arrived at Hogwarts.

Boggart

Fans get to see another iconic lesson on the boggart delivered by Dumbledore himself. This lesson is a callback to the one Lupin gives to his class in the third Harry Potter book.

Mirror of Erised

The Mirror of Erised is introduced in the first Harry Potter book and allows someone to see what they desire most. Originally, Dumbledore tells Harry that he sees himself holding a nice pair of socks but it is now revealed that Dumbledore actually sees the face of Grindelwald.

Nagini

The character named Nagini can turn into a snake and will eventually not be able to turn back into a human. Interesting that Voldemort’s snake and one of the seven Horcruxes are also named Nagini…

The Fantastic Beasts movies are riddled with connections to the Harry Potter universe, which to me, is one of the things that makes them so AMAZING!

Thank you to Google Images for all the pics!

Abby Tubman

CU Boulder '21

Abby has lived in Longmont, Colorado for most of her life. She is currently a sophomore at CU Boulder majoring in Integrative Physiology with a certificate in Public Health. Currently, she works for a nonprofit organization called the NYAGI Project that works to improve prenatal care in remote areas of the world. When she's not in class you can find Abby at the local Starbucks or spending time outdoors.
Sko Buffs!