Going Local: Boulder Farmers Market Opens April 2nd

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

CU Students are lucky to call Boulder, such an earth-friendly environment, home. As many know, Boulder is well known for their “going-green” lifestyle: bike paths that are more frequented than roads, restaurants that ask you to recycle your chip bags, houses donned with solar panels, and an anticipated favorite: the seasonal farmer’s market. 

Less than a mile away from CU’s campus, students can find relief from their dorm menus and Easy-Mac at this local market.  Boulder Farmers Market provides fresh food, crafted goods, and vendors from the Boulder area and beyond.  As a cheap college student, my personal favorite is all the available samples and deals on produce from bargaining with vendors.

The market is on 13th street, between Arapahoe and Canyon.  It is open on Saturday mornings from 8am- 2pm, and on Wednesday afternoons (May- October) from 4-8pm.  The season starts this Saturday, April 2nd, and runs until the first Saturday in November.  With one of the longest running seasons (8 months!) and a huge community following, the Boulder Farmer’s Market is always in full swing.

The forecast for opening day is a perfect 78 and sunny, so get together a few dollars (even if you don’t have cash, you can use your credit card towards ‘Market Bucks’) your Ramen-devouring friends, and hike down to one of the best local markets in the country.  Trust me, both your stomach and Mother Nature will thank you.  

Ali Chastain is a sophomore majoring in Advertising in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication at CU Boulder. Even though her passion is in Advertising, Journalism has always been a close second, which is why she is stoked to be a part of Her Campus! Originally from St. Louis, MO, she calls Boulder her home away from home. She is a part of Kappa Alpha Theta sorority and is also employed at American Apparel. When she is not working or studying, she loves to run around her favorite trails in Boulder, stalk music blogs, and put her foodie-ness to the test at new restaurants.
Anna is a Sophomore at the University of Colorado at Boulder studying Journalism in the News-Editorial track. She is very involved in her sorority, Kappa Alpha Theta, where she is curerntly the Vice President of Development. Also within the Greek Community, Anna writes for The Odyssey, a Greek newspaper. With a spare moment, Anna loves capturing the beauty of everyday through photography, embarking on mini adventures, skiing the peaks, and sipping chai. Nothing relaxes her more than tying on her running shoes and exploring the mountain trails and soaking up Colorado's sun. A recent addition to the Her Campus Team, she is excited for what is to come!