This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

It’s easy to get down on yourself after you fail a test, skip leg day, and end up caving in and buying the 4 for $4 M&M boxes from Walgreens. The one thing that is the quickest mood booster for me when I’m feeling down on myself is girl power anthems. You know I’m right. Nobody is going to get you feeling more hyped up and powerful than Lizzo in the song “Good As Hell”, I mean come on, we can all agree with that one. 

Aretha Franklin, “Respect

Talk about starting your day off right! This is easily my favorite song to listen to when I wake up in the morning. There’s no better feeling than making coffee, listening to this blast on my speaker, and letting Queen Aretha coach me through a morning pep talk!

Blues Pills, “Lady in Gold

I was perusing Spotify last spring when I saw my music guru friend had started a playlist called “Ladies in Gold” and the playlist thumbnail was a picture of me, her, and our other friend! *Insert aww’s here*. Obviously I checked out the playlist and found this song through it. This song became such a source of confidence for me. It was like I could feel my confidence rising, and stopped becoming so conscious of everything around me. 10/10 would recommend this rocker anthem.

Kesha, “Woman

Oh come on, if you don’t like this song then you don’t like fun. Kesha pops off in the song “Woman” by taking back all the stereotypes regarding male and female relationships. She makes it known she’s an independent, breadwinning, queen who doesn’t need any help from a man. Kesha: one and men: zero.

Lizzo, “Truth Hurts

A classic girl power anthem for ages to come. This lighthearted bouncy beat and truthful lyrics are what put Lizzo on top. While inspiring the masses, she also wants everyone to know that women’s standards are high and that we aren’t going to settle for anything below them!

Lizzo, “Good As Hell

I remember the first time I heard this song I just wanted to listen to it on repeat for hours on end. Lizzo is here to coach everyone through their breakup with their official or unofficial boyfriend. She reminds us that we are just as good as we were before the relationship that brought us down. Lizzo can voice the breakup motivational pep talk we all need, but sometimes don’t have the strength to give ourselves. Thank you again for saying everything we once knew but lost sight of in our messy relationship, Lizzo!

Cyndi Lauper, “Girls Just Want to Have Fun

Play this song at both my wedding and funeral. I want people to get DOWN to this timeless anthem. This 80’s groovy beat keeps me bumping all the way home from class. Add this to your “Getting Ready For A Night Out” playlist and also to your “Pick Me Up” playlist. This song reminds me to never take anything too seriously. Also that at the end of the day, “I want to be the one to walk in the sun.” And I want those lyrics to be my first tattoo!

Gloria Gaynor, “I Will Survive

We’ve all been there one way or another, thinking about what we would do if this one person left our lives? And then the following question that can come about down the road: what will we do without this person now that they aren’t in our lives anymore? Girl, you were strong and whole without that one person before, and you still are now. This 70’s tune is powerful enough to pick you up off the ground and get you out the door. I honestly think listening to this song gives me physical strength and increased self-esteem. You will not only survive, but you will thrive!

Alicia Keys, “Girl On Fire

Queen Alicia blessed up with this song long before any of us were ready for it. I have chills from the beginning to the end of this song. Alicia is here to let us know we’re all dreamers and we’re killing it. We’re on fire, we’re on top of the world, and we’re not stopping anytime soon. Also, stream Alicia Keys’ new album “Alicia”; it’s amazing and her voice is flawless!

Beyonce, “Run the World

What kind of human would I be if I didn’t put a Beyonce song on my Girl Boss playlist? They don’t call her Queen Bey for nothing. She literally says “my persuasion can build a nation”, “you’ll do anything for me”, she truly is a mystic! Bey is here to inspire us all to take on our days, side hustles, social lives, and troubles with no doubts. Add this song to your “Hype Up” playlist and get ready to dance, scream, sing, and take on your day like a champion.

No Doubt, “Just A Girl

No Doubt takes every stereotype thrown at girls throughout history, tosses them on the ground, and then dances on them. This punk-rock-girl power anthem stands as a symbol for Women’s Rights and explains why society treats women like glass dolls. Our united strength as a gender is stronger than the stereotypes themselves.

Fifth Harmony, “That’s My Girl

I listen to this song, no joke, every time I’m nearing the end goal of my workout. This song amps me up to no end. The build-up to the chorus, and then the explosion of the chorus itself has me powering through any finish line. Fifth Harmony really dropped this song as a breakup, buildup, and girl power anthem. Honestly, go listen to it now, it gets better and better every time.

Demi Lovato, “Sorry Not Sorry

This song is on my playlist every summer. The music video is so fun and Demi pops off like no other in this song. She really dropped the best breakup revenge song I’ve ever come across. I love nothing more than blaring this song when I’m not feeling myself and letting the lyrics fill my head up with positive self-affirmations. Thank you for reminding us just who we are and how powerful we all are, Demi!

Add these to your Spotify queue and instantly feel the support and love of all of these powerful, awesome, badass women! 

Jess MacAulay

CU Boulder '22

Jess MacAulay is a senior broadcast journalism major here at CU Boulder. She loves 30 Rock and The Mindy Project and thinks more people need to watch these shows because they're the best TV shows of all time. When she’s not writing for Her Campus she can be found hanging out with friends, standing in the sun, or mourning the closing of Cheba Hut on the Hill.
Sko Buffs!