From Magcon to Fatherhood: How Nash Grier’s New Life Is More Than Vine Could Have Predicted

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Close your eyes and imagine it’s 2013 again. Every mall in America is playing Lorde and Icona Pop on repeat, the “duck-face” has polarized social media, and most importantly: everyone who’s anyone has become obsessed with Vine. Ten years ago I didn’t have a phone – I wasn’t allowed one until I started high school – but like any eighth grader in my situation would, I downloaded Instagram on the family iPad and proceeded to follow every YouTuber, singer, and classmate whose account I could find. In fact, one of the first Instagram accounts I ever followed was that of the one and only Nash Grier. Grier is one of the only people I have continued to follow for the past decade. 

I would argue that Nash Grier was the original influencer: the founding father of the internet as we know it today. Thus, in honor of my ten years of loyalty I have decided to do a deep dive into his journey from a Magcon member to now a dedicated partner and father of two. 

With the 2013 release of the app Vine (and his strikingly blue eyes), Nash Grier quickly rose to fame at only 16 years old. Along with fellow heartthrobs Cameron Dallas, Matthew Espinosa, Jack Gilinsky, Jack Johnson, Hayes Grier, Shawn Mendes, and more, Grier established the “boy-band phenomenon without the band” known as Magcon. These boys held meet-and-greets, mass produced Vines, and for many prepubescent girls like myself, introduced young people to the wonders of the internet. 

However, despite his new-found popularity, Nash Grier struggled to mesh into the YouTube community because of various controversial tweets and videos where he promoted hate speech. In 2014, YouTuber Tyler Oakley called out Grier for homophobic comments about the HIV crisis. And so it seemed as though as soon as Nash Grier broke into the world of influencing, his nearly career-ending comments paused his spiral towards infamy. 

And then in 2015, the body positivity feminist extraordinaire Taylor Giavasis entered the picture and altered the trajectory of Griers life. Many were surprised to see Nash Grier in a serious relationship with such an outspoken, powerful, woman of color who proudly sports hairy armpits and cellulite, but their partnership has proven to be more than durable. With his new relationship, Nash Grier grew out his hair, became more interested in photography and film than funny videos and pranks, and developed a more liberal, artsy internet persona. 

In 2019, Taylor and Nash had their first child together, and in 2022 their second. Although Malakai and Noa (four and one years-old as of 2023) are two of the most stunning children I have seen, I am more impressed by Grier and Giavasis’ parenting approaches. On any given day their kids can be seen splashing in the mud, snacking on fresh fruits and vegetables, petting kittens, chickens, and frogs, or going on family walks. With Nash Grier’s biblical and familial values and Taylor Giavasis’s firm beliefs on equality, health, and motherhood, there is nothing more I enjoy than watching how they grow their family. 

Nash Grier started his internet career as an immature prankster known for his good looks and bright eyes. Ten years later, he has completely evaded cancellation and instead evolved into what could only be described as a father/partner/carpenter/nature lover. Watching Nash Grier grow up has proven to me how capable people are of change and I can’t wait to continue viewing his life from afar.

Lanaya Oliver

CU Boulder '24

Lanaya Oliver is the Editor-in-Chief and a contributing writer at the Her Campus Chapter at the University of Colorado at Boulder. As Editor-in-Chief, she oversees a team of editors, is the lead publisher and editor, and works as a campus corespondent. Outside of Her Campus, Lanaya is a senior at the University of Colorado Boulder. She is double majoring in both Psychology and Spanish with a minor in Sports Media. Her writing career started in high school when she was elected the position of school wide poet laureate after winning a poetry contest in her sophomore year. Now Lanaya’s writing has evolved from creative pieces to profiles and articles for her Her Campus articles. In her personal life, Lanaya is an ACE certified personal trainer and teaches both cycle and barre classes. Fitness is her passion and more often than not she can be found lifting weights, riding a bike, or running. She also enjoys being outdoors, binge watching movies, spending time with friends, thrift shopping, and munching on any white cheddar flavored snack she can find. Lanaya hopes to find a balance between her love for writing and her dreams of working in the fitness industry in her future career.