Fall-tastic Alternatives to Pumpkin-Flavored Desserts and Drinks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Fall season is upon us, and there’s nothing more refreshing than settling down in a cozy sweater and warm boots, taking in the scenery of fallen leaves, sipping some pumpkin spice latte, or as they call it, in short, PSL.

Taking a look at the previous sentence, I could agree with pretty much everything…except the pumpkin part. After having multiple conversations with various people, I learned that pumpkin-flavored drinks and desserts are not always the end-all-be-all for their autumn whereabouts. As someone who tried her first PSL only a few days ago, I can somewhat concur with this. 

You may be wondering, “Does this mean you don’t like pumpkin?” Well, not at all. In fact, I am a huge fan of pumpkin bread, and even though it’s not my favorite Thanksgiving dish (sorry, I’m staying loyal to cranberry sauce), I don’t mind having pumpkin pie for dessert every now and then. And when I tried PSL for the first time ever, I fell in love with pumpkin even more. 

Despite my growing appreciation for pumpkin-flavored stuff, I can understand why it doesn’t suit the taste buds of others. Pumpkin is a particular flavor that isn’t always for everyone. But of course, this doesn’t mean that those who dislike pumpkin will enjoy their autumn even less. With that, I have compiled a list of great alternatives to pumpkin-flavored desserts and drinks.

Cheesecake.

I recognize that this popular dessert may have a completely different vibe from pumpkin pie, but hear me out. Cheesecake has a somewhat similar texture to that of pumpkin pie. Several years ago, I even remember having pumpkin cheesecake at a Thanksgiving party, and I was in awe of how the pumpkin matched so well with the cheesecake.

Any Kind of Pie…But Preferably Apple.

I don’t think there’s much explanation needed here: pumpkin pie is still considered pie, so switching it with a different kind of pie is completely valid. I personally recommend apple pie because it never fails to pass the fall vibe check. Of course, any other pie flavor is just as good.

Carrot Cake.

Aside from the color, I feel like carrot cake also mirrors the essence of pumpkin flavor. Carrot flavor is also particular in the sense that it is unique compared to other cake flavors. It is just enough that no matter who tries it, pumpkin-lover or not, it can be a universal delight.

Banana and Zucchini Bread.

If you don’t like pumpkin bread, banana bread and zucchini bread are the way to go. They are very much alike compared to pumpkin bread in terms of texture, taste, and appearance. To add an extra twist for your pallet, don’t forget to add chocolate chips when you bake them!

Matcha Latte.

You may be thinking of the color mismatch again, just like with cheesecake. Pumpkin spice latte generally has an orange tone, whereas green tea latte is, well, green. However, as the saying goes, “don’t judge a book by its cover”. The way green tea latte tastes is somewhat akin to that pumpkin spice as it has a sort of uniqueness to it as well. Though not identical to pumpkin, matcha is sweet and savory with a natural, pleasant touch that many will love.

Chai.

Many have actually described chai tea as having a taste similar to that of PSL because it incorporates spice into its flavor. On top of that, chai is overall a nice, warm drink that anyone can have to chill during the fall season.

Pumpkin Pie Whole Pie Top Down With Pumpkin
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon

Whether or not you like pumpkin, just remember that you’re not missing out if you don’t get to have anything pumpkin-flavored this autumn. There are so many more things out there to appreciate about fall, like the sweaters and the scenery. And when it comes to sweet treats, there are many similar substitutes out there. Cheers to an awesome fall season!

Gennah Penalosa is currently the social media director for Her Campus CU Boulder. She is a senior studying finance at the Leeds School of Business. When she is not doing homework, you can find her listening to music or drawing the face of a random celebrity.