This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Also known as an “eyelash perm”, lash lifts can change your whole look in less than an hour. The process mimics the effect of an eyelash curler, leaving you with fluttering lashes for six to eight weeks. If you’re looking for a low-maintenance beauty routine, or a way to spice up your Zoom-look during your eight a.m., a lash lift might be for you!

Here’s how it works.

Your lash tech will begin by speaking with you about what type of curl you’re looking for. A tighter curl will look great on very long eyelashes, but if your lashes are on the shorter side, a tight curl could hide your length. If you have short lashes, consider starting with a looser curl. The technician will then cleanse the eye area and place a silicon rod onto your lid. Your lashes will be brushed up and curled onto the rod with an adhesive, then brushed with a lifting lotion and finished with a setting lotion. The process should take 45 minutes to an hour. 

Consider getting a tint, too.

Applying tint to blonde or ginger lashes can create a DRAMATIC difference. Tinting your lashes black will create the illusion of mascara and make your lashes stand out all day long. You can ask your lash tech to tint your lashes during the curling process without any extra hassle, however, the service will add an extra charge onto your bill.

BUY A LASH CONDITIONER.

If we learned anything from our parents in the 80s, perms are not good for your hair. This is why it’s necessary to purchase a lash conditioner after your perm. It will revitalize your lashes and prevent them from getting brittle or falling out. Apply the conditioner to your lashes before you fall asleep at night so that your hair can soak in the nutrients. 

It can hurt, but it doesn’t have to!

Be sure to visit an experienced technician with good reviews. It’s possible for the eyelash tech to get glue in your eye, and the burning sensation can be very unpleasant. Also, if you have any skin sensitivities or allergies, you could risk some slight discomfort, redness, or swelling during or after the process.

Bye-bye eyelash curler! 

Kaitlyn Waynick

CU Boulder '22

Strat Comm major with an emphasis in Public Relations and a minor in Leadership. Avid lover of coffee, dogs, Netflix, and travel. Southern-raised but a big mountain girl.
Sko Buffs!