Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Dynamic Duos In The Media That Contributed To My Bisexual Awakening

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Sexuality is complex and sometimes takes a while to fully understand. I didn’t realize that I was not heterosexual until I was 18 years old, by which point I had already been in a long-term heterosexual relationship. That being said, when I realized that I was not ‘straight’ I thought back to some things from childhood and young adulthood that subconsciously contributed to my bisexual awakening. 

Anakin Skywalker and Padme Amidala from Star Wars: The Clone wars

When I tell you I was in love with both of them, I mean I was in love with both of them. I loved Padme’s outfits, her strength and courage, and her diplomacy. I adored Anakin’s ruggedness, his recklessness, and the way he interacted with her. They were a power couple and I wanted both of them. Padme was definitely one of the first “do I want to be her or do I want her” moments that I encountered. Watch this video to see what I’m talking about.

Beck and Jade from Victorious

Beck was always the cool guy, the indie guy that you’re supposed to fall for. He was attractive and caring and had a great personality. Jade was the villain that you are supposed to root against. She was the antagonist to Tori, and yet something about her looks, her personality, and the way she interacts with others made her irresistible. This is in part due to Queer Coding, a phenomenon you can read more about here, and I would argue that Jade was a queer-coded character. Either way, they are both undeniably hot to the point where you can’t possibly choose one or the other. Check out this video for more.

Will Turner and Elizabeth Swann from Pirates of the Caribbean

Once again we have a rugged but devoted man willing to do anything for the girl he loves, and a self-sufficient powerful woman who wants to be treated as such. I’m sensing a pattern in my own taste here… Orlando Bloom was always a celebrity crush of mine, and funnily enough Kiera Knightley played Padme’s doppelganger in Star Wars: The Phantom Menace. This duo had me thoroughly torn. I couldn’t possibly choose. Check out this video for more on this power couple.

KIm Possible and Shego

Shego has been the talk of the town in recent years; from being mentioned in Jack Harlow’s song What’s Popping, to the subject of many TikTok videos, many people are realizing that Shego was part of their sexual awakening. She appeals to a lot of sexualities but for me, her obsession with Kim and the way they fight and interact with each other just opened my eyes. Check out this video to see what I mean.

For a long time, I didn’t realize what I was feeling were the same feelings for both men and women on screen. This realization comes late for a lot of people because we are socialized in a heterosexual culture and therefore aren’t taught what it means to feel attraction to other genders outside of the norm. Nevertheless, these were some of my bisexual awakening duos.

Content written by various anonymous CU Boulder writers