Wellness

CYL Sauna Studio – How Infrared Sauna Therapy Can Help You This Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Welcome back to school, buffs! As you are settling into your first week of classes, it can be quite stressful, especially with the uncertainty of the COVID-19 pandemic. If you are interested in reducing stress, boosting your immune system, and improving your sleep, infrared sauna therapy might be for you!

We talked to Crystal Callipari, President and head Sweat Tech of the CYL Sauna Studio here in Boulder, about the benefits of infrared sauna therapy and how you can try out a session!

Can you tell us a little bit about yourself and how you got involved with CYL Sauna Studio?

Crystal Callipari: I’ve been in the area for 23 years. Both of my kids go to CU Boulder and are part of CYL as owners and managers. 

I feel like the CYL franchise found me. I was looking for an alternative holistic approach to medications for my son who has allergies and asthma. I did some research and found that infrared sauna therapy helps people with those immune system issues. We tried a few in the area and found some relief but didn’t like the set ups. Typically in a PT office or studio, they were cabin style, not private, and hard on the back to sit on a bamboo bench. In further discussion, a family friend said that her daughter had a studio and a new franchise. The concept is spa-like and private; I was sold!

What’s your current role? What’s a typical day-in-the-life for you?

CC: I am the President and head Sweat Tech. At this point, I have handed off the day-to-day running of the studio to both of my kids who manage the Boulder location. I just signed a new lease on our second location which will be in Cherry Creek North. We hope to be opening soon. Besides managing the acquisition and build-out of future studios, I am heavily involved with community outreach and partnership development.

Can you tell us how CYL Sauna Studio got its start?

CC: CYL Sauna Studio began about five years ago under Kayla O’Nan in Nashville, TN. The small franchise has grown into Memphis, Austin, Dallas, and soon Lexington.

What makes this studio different or unique from other studios, and what are the immediate and long term health benefits of saunas?

CC: CYL is Boulder’s only luxury infrared sauna studio. We have eight private spa-like sauna suites and clients relax by laying down in their own pod. By laying down with the head out they are able to truly relax and disconnect from the world. Infrared therapy helps reduce stress, boost the immune system, improves sleep, aids in workout recovery, is effective as a passive workout (clients can burn 300-600 in a single 30 min session), skin rejuvenation, and helps in weight loss, just to name a few benefits.

Why should people come to experience the CYL Sauna Studio?

CC: Traditional saunas heat the air around you and it has to be extremely hot in order to produce a superficial sweat. With CYL, we are bringing your core temperature up and your head is out breathing room temperature air the entire time which makes the experience more manageable and enjoyable. By doing this, you are sweating on a cellular level which is 7x more detoxifying than a traditional sauna. Not all sweat is created equally, with cellular sweat there is no odor and it’s not sticky! Literally you just wipe off and go about your day feeling amazing. Everyone needs to detox, reduce stress, improve sleep, and boost the immune system, especially college students!

Regarding COVID-19, are you open for business, and have there been any changes to your hours of operation?

CC: We are currently operating under normal business hours. Monday through Friday, 8-8 (last sweat is 30 minutes prior to closing), Saturday 8-6, and Sunday 9-6.

What protocols is your studio taking to protect against COVID-19?

CC: We are following the CDC guidelines for sanitizing. We have also added in additional time between clients to give our sweat techs additional time to sanitize between clients.

We heard you are introducing brand new pricing for CU students! Can you describe these new rates and how it will save college students money?

Students get special pricing for their sweat sessions!

Single Sweats:

Standard Sweat Session – $20

Super Sweat Session – $25

Virtual Punch Card:

10 Standard Sessions – $150

Membership:

Refresh – $49/month for 4 Standard Sessions 

*Must show Buff One card reflecting current student status at time of purchase 

CYL Sauna Studio will be opening a second location in Cherry Creek North on 3rd avenue soon! Any membership or punchards purchased can be used at both locations. 

Stay well and have a great semester.

Kelley is the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus CU Boulder. She is currently a senior majoring in journalism and minoring in sports media. In her free time, she likes to workout at her local CrossFit gym, hang out at coffee shops, and explore the mountains.