CU Top 5: Things To Do This Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

School is finally out and summer is here! Now what? Even if you aren’t going anywhere, there’s plenty to do in the beautiful land of Boulder. You don’t need a cruise ship or a plane ticket to enjoy yourself. Try one (or all!) of these great ideas and trust me, when you come back to school, your friends will appreciate a story different than one involving Mexico.

Be Your Own Tour Guide
What better way to enjoy the summer by being outdoors and exploring Boulder’s natural beauty? Yes, we’ve all hiked the Flatirons (if you haven’t, go!), but there’s so much more to discover around the Boulder area. Whether you’re an experienced biker or looking for a leisurely stroll, Open Space and Mountain Parks  has the perfect trail for you. Been there done that? Try rock climbing at some of Boulder’s bolder areas. With some of the best overlook areas and beautiful scenery, you and your friends will be sure to enjoy these workout sessions!

Find Mr. Right
Yes, we all would love that summer fling girls talk about. Well, now you can! Boulder is filled with hotties, you just have to know where to look. Break away from your typical party night at the Goose and venture somewhere new. Try The Kitchen, an authentic restaurant-lounge in downtown Boulder that offers community dinners every Monday night. With delicious food and a relaxing atmosphere, you’ll be sure to find Mr. Right at a hangout spot like this.

Meet Your Inner-Groupie
Love music? You’re in the perfect spot! Some of the best bands native to Boulder play at local bars. Head over to Mountain Sun Pub on Sunday and Monday nights because even if you’re not into the typical local scene, there’s no doubt you’ll enjoy some of these artists while sipping on a sudsy Sun. So grab your girlfriends, head to Pearl Street and let the inner-groupie side of you come out! (While you’re at it, check out how to be the ultimate groupie here so you’ll be in with Boulder’s hottest bands!)

Be a Beach Bum
Want to escape the summer heat? You don’t have to be hit up the coastal beaches to get your tan on. Locals love the Boulder Reservoir because there’s nothing better than taking a dip in the cool open water. With the sandy shoreline, you’ll get the best of both worlds – beach and Boulder. The reservoir is perfect for families and friends with all kinds of activities from sailing and waterskiing to picnicking and laying out. If you’re feeling a little adventurous, visit Boulder’s boat house to rent a kayak or sailboard for the day! 

Make Working Out Fun
Need to lose the Freshman 15? There’s a better way to do it than spending hours on the elliptical. Join a running club with your friends and get your jog on! You’ll get to work out, make new friends (while hanging with old ones) and participate in fun events around the valley. Not a runner? Try biking! Boulder Cruiser Club offers themed bike rides throughout the area. These fun events are sure to beat the gym—plus, now you have an excuse to whip out those party themed costumes that you wear once a year and strut your stuff!

Still bummed you won’t be going on that all-inclusive Mexico trip? I didn’t think so. There’s no better way to enjoy your time off than exploring this amazing city that we all live in so grab your girlfriends, pick an option and enjoy the beautiful Boulder sun!

Anna is a Sophomore at the University of Colorado at Boulder studying Journalism in the News-Editorial track. She is very involved in her sorority, Kappa Alpha Theta, where she is curerntly the Vice President of Development. Also within the Greek Community, Anna writes for The Odyssey, a Greek newspaper. With a spare moment, Anna loves capturing the beauty of everyday through photography, embarking on mini adventures, skiing the peaks, and sipping chai. Nothing relaxes her more than tying on her running shoes and exploring the mountain trails and soaking up Colorado's sun. A recent addition to the Her Campus Team, she is excited for what is to come!