CU Top 5: Best Ideas for First Dates

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

So, you’ve landed that first date with that guy from your Psych class you have been eyeing all semester. The nerves are endless and the stakes are high… you want to make a good impression but where do you go? Planning the perfect first date can be tough. With that said, I’ve asked some of the finest men of CU their suggestions so you’ll never have to stress again!

DINNER (WITHOUT A MOVIE)
Want to go on the classic first date of a nice dinner? Not to worry, there are plenty of delicious restaurants in Boulder that will fancy your man’s taste buds. Salt is a funky-fresh restaurant on Pearl with some of the best homemade fettuccini around. If you’re looking for more of an all-American bar with burgers and steaks, West End Tavern (Man vs. Food was filmed here!) on Pearl is a popular choice among the guys. Another one of the boys’ favorites was The Med. With amazing happy hour specials and authentic style, this fun restaurant is a perfect first date destination for fans of Greek fare.

DO A LITTLE LEARNING
A good first date doesn’t always have to involve going to dinner. Sometimes doing something hands on can be the best way to get to know your date. Surprisingly enough, these hotties agreed. Maximilian Viski-Hanka, a current senior, would love to go salsa dancing or even attend a cooking class or bartending class! He thinks these types of dates are the best way to get to know someone. Salsaville.com is constantly updating their website with the hottest places to take your date dancing in both Boulder and Denver. If you want to eat and go to a class during your date, try one of Casey Easton’s fun and easy cooking classes and learn how to cook to impress your man. If you’re more of a drinks lover, visit StirtoLearn and learn how to mix drinks with one of the best bartenders in the area.

CHEER ON A TEAM
If you’re looking for something a little more high-strung, sporting events are always a fun place to take your date—plus, what guy doesn’t love sports? Going to Denver for the night and seeing a Nuggets, Avalanche or Rockies game is always a lot of fun. Junior Robert Lombardo says there’s no better date than one with sports and girls! Visiting Coors Field or the Pepsi Center will give you and your date time to bond on the way there and in the stands during the game. Who knows, maybe you’ll even end up on the kiss-cam?

SHOWS
Maybe your guy is more into the low-key local shows… if so, you’re in luck! Boulder has some of the best spots to see amazing artists that you and your date will love. Some of junior Dominic Haury’s favorite venues are the Fox Theatre, Rock ‘N Soul Café and Chautauqua. He loves being able to get to know someone as he listens to some of his favorite music and says that there’s no better way to see whether or not you’re into a girl by finding out her music tastes! If you’re looking for the best of both worlds with music and food, Dominic recommends trying the Lazy Dog located on Pearl, one of Boulder’s most delicious bar destinations with some of the best artists playing while you eat.

GET OUTSIDE
If you want to take your man somewhere a little more secluded, exploring Colorado’s natural beauty is the best way to go. Senior Brad Wolfenden would love to hike the Flatirons with a girl he wants to get to know because he thinks that the scenery is beautiful and it would be the best way to open up to someone. If you’ve been to the top of Flatirons too many times, taking a drive up to Estes Park and spending the day in this luscious area is always an option. You and your date can hike, shop and eat at this popular destination. Not to mention it can be one of the most romantic places to get to know someone!

First dates have such a stigma of being awkward and boring, but with this list, you don’t have to worry about that possibility any longer.  Whether you’re looking for some hands-on involvement or a low-key area to get to know your guy, you’re sure to have an exciting time with at least one of these options.  So choose your favorite from this list and we’ll pick you up at 8?

Ali Chastain is a sophomore majoring in Advertising in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication at CU Boulder. Even though her passion is in Advertising, Journalism has always been a close second, which is why she is stoked to be a part of Her Campus! Originally from St. Louis, MO, she calls Boulder her home away from home. She is a part of Kappa Alpha Theta sorority and is also employed at American Apparel. When she is not working or studying, she loves to run around her favorite trails in Boulder, stalk music blogs, and put her foodie-ness to the test at new restaurants.