This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Being environmentally friendly is a crucial thing. It seems, however, that doing so comes at an incredible cost. This can be discouraging to many people who want to become more sustainable because it seems like in order to do it you have to have tons of money. The truth is there are many ways to help out the planet, and many of them come at low costs. Along with shorter showers, reusable straws and remembering to turn off the lights comes another important step: making sure your makeup is cruelty-free. 

Cruelty-free products are so important because not only do they help make a huge difference, but cruelty-free products tend to have healthier ingredients and are formulated in a much safer manner. Many of these brands are actually ones you can pick up from your local drugstore. From E.L.F to ColourPop, there are many ways to help out and look great doing it.

E.L.F

E.L.F has been a staple in the beauty industry for several years now. You’ll be pleased to know that aside from delivering quality at a price point that can’t be beat, their products are also 100% cruelty-free and vegan. Be sure to try their Poreless Putty Primer for a lasting makeup application. 

Covergirl

Covergirl is a brand that has always been at the forefront of drugstore cosmetics. Their products are well known, and are used by many! Their Clean Fresh line recently has expanded to cream blush and highlighters, and is also 100% vegan.

Wet N’ Wild

Wet N’ WIld has really stepped up their game lately. They are a drugstore classic, but have really branched out their variety and range of collection over the past few years. Their brand has actually never tested on animals. Their MegaLiner Liquid Liner is smudge-proof and only four dollars!

Milani

Milani is another brand that delivers really great products at a price point that won’t break the bank. Their Make It Last Setting Spray locks in every look for hours and provides a refreshing feel to the face. 

BH Cosmetics

BH Cosmetics is honestly really underrated. They have amazing eyeshadow palettes, lashes, and lipstick. They always have amazing sales going on. Be sure to check them out. They recently released the cutest Flower Power collection. 

Colourpop

Colourpop is another cult classic that honestly offers absolutely everything you could want in makeup. The pigmentation, longevity and innovation of the brand give it many brownie points, but the true seller is that they also “100% fur babe friendly,” as they put it. If anyone can do eyeshadow, it’s Colourpop. 

EcoTools

Yeah, yeah. It’s in the name and nobody ever doubted they weren’t. They still deserve an honorary mention for being cruelty-free from the get-go. Their brushes are my absolute favorite. 

When deciding what determined the fact that these brands were cruelty-free, it was also very important that they were Leaping Bunny certified. Every single one of these brands delivers that. Ensuring that your products are cruelty-free helps so much, not just our animal friends. Your skin, the planet, and many others will thank you for making the switch. 

Noelia Salazar

CU Boulder '23

Noelia is majoring in international affairs with a minor in communications. She is passionate about social change and bringing light to topics not talked about enough. She loves books, makeup, and coffee. In her free time, she's probably rewatching Gilmore Girls.
Sko Buffs!